The The P&WV Hi-Line
P&WV Technical and Historical Interest Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Offset Side Hopper Questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jayrod

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 12: 01 pm    Post subject: Offset Side Hopper Questions Reply with quote

I’m researching paint schemes and data sets for offset side hoppers. By examining photos and reading the Worley/Poellot book, I can possibly make the following assumptions which generate more questions:

The first 100 cars (ACF 1947, #6700 - #6799) were initially painted black with the round logo only. During rebuilding at Rook in the ‘50s, they received the “symbol of Service” slogan and some came out with yellow accoutrements. All were sold in late 1959 and leased back from GSSC in early – mid 1960, white on black with “symbol of Service” logo and numbered 700 – 799 (deleting the “6”). Questions: Do we know when individual cars were rebuilt at Rook and received the SOS slogan? Which cars received the yellow trim? Do we know which cars were delivered when from Greenville?

The next 600 cars ( PSCC 1949, #1 - #600) were initially painted the same as the ACF cars and received SOS slogans in the ‘50s. 98 of these cars were sold in 1960 and leased back from GSSC, white on black with SOS slogan until 6/61, then, starting 7/61, painted red with yellow graphics and “The Alphabet Route” slogan. These cars appear to have retained their original numbers. Questions: Do we know when the cars were shopped in the 50’s and received the SOS slogans? Do we know which cars from this series were sold to GSSC and leased back and when or, at a minimum, with which scheme?

Have I made correct assumptions?

Other than the 198 cars mentioned above, did any other offset hoppers go through the GSSC lease program?

Thanks,
jayrod
Rich_S

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9: 47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jayrod,
Do these photo's help any?

http://www.thepwvhiline.com/RollingStockSeriesPart4Sec%20version%201/index.html

http://thepwvhiline.com/RequestedImages/Symbol_of_Service_Doc_P1_Web.html

http://thepwvhiline.com/RequestedImages/Symbol_of_Service_Doc_P4_Web.html

Regards,
Rich S.
jayrod

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 4: 49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rich,

I've got these all on the list. Here's where I'm at currently with the 60T offset hoppers - these are all assumptions on my part, many not yet verified:

ACF of 1947: Nos. 6700 to 6799 originally delivered with the round logo only. Rebuild programs in 1952 to 1957 added the SOS slogan, 6735 verified in Hi-Line ohotos. I believe all of these sold to Greenville in late 1959, were rebuilt and were leased back in early 1960 with the same paint scheme, renumbered 700 to 799.

Pressed Steel of 1949: Nos. 1 to 599 originally delivered with round logo same as the ACF cars, SOS slogan added during rebuilds in 1952 through 1957, verified in Hi Line photos: 1, 17, 161, 458. In 1960, 98 of these were sold to Greenville (which ones?) and were leased back. Some of these received the SOS slogan up to delivery in 6/61, no. 17 verified. the rest were painted in the new yellow on red Alphabet Route scheme and retained their original numbers starting with deliveries in 6/61. In 1961, 97 more (Nos?) went to Greenville for the same treatment. Numbers verified recieving the Alphabet Route scheme: 93, 223, 305, 380, 399, 404, 512 and 568.

The reason, I'm trying to decifer these dates and car numbers is to get the correct RK shop and GV lease dates with the correct car numbers. I have a suspicion that this will be a fruitless search.

If you think this is confusing, wait until we get to the 50T and 55T channel and rib side hoppers. A lot of these lasted into the sixties and were shopped many times.

Any info contributed is apperciated.

jayrod
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The P&WV Hi-Line Forum Index -> Messages All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: