The The P&WV Hi-Line
P&WV Technical and Historical Interest Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

castle Shannon West end

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave Stanton

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5: 33 pm    Post subject: castle Shannon West end Reply with quote

I am modeling the Castle Shannon area of the P&WV. Each section is six feet by about 20 inches. The time frame is the late 50's into the early 70's. The first section is the area by Childs Equipment and the General Cement Products Corp. I grew up across the valley from here. My question is did the cement company have a dedicated siding or did they use the section of track that was connected to the passing siding. In the 1957 photos of the area it looks like a conveyor could take product from the tracks to the plant below. In these same photos I can't tell if there was a track near the hillside. Thank you all for any info.
Longview Station

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6: 40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, there was a spur that dead ended just above Kilarney. As a matter of fact, its still there in the trees complete with bumping block. Some of the spur near the end is built on steel beams. As you know, the original "west end" of Castle Shannon ended about the same location before being extended west down near McNeilly.
jayrod

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7: 47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, sorry about the late reply. To pinpoint the switch to GCP, I'm talking railroad east-west, not geographical. And for switch, it's the location of the points.

The westbound facing point switch to Childs was right at the west end of the bridge over Killarney. Westbound trailing point switch to GCP was roughly 500' west of the Childs switch according to the stationing. The spur dropped down grade into GCP and was somewhat parallel to the main.

Hope that helps.
PWVJer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6: 44 am    Post subject: Pics of the area in question. Reply with quote

...two(2) archive pic links.

http://www.thepwvhiline.com/AlphabetRouteActionOnTheEa/BW_D_Web.html

...and this one from N&W era.

http://www.thepwvhiline.com/PWVInThe1970s/T92Web.html

Jer,
Dave Stanton

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8: 45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the information. As I look now I can see the bumper at the end of the spur. I love this site and all the information available.
jayrod

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10: 19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very much welcome. Questions and digging up answers keep all of us on our toes. Fun, too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The P&WV Hi-Line Forum Index -> Messages All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: