The The P&WV Hi-Line
P&WV Technical and Historical Interest Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Information on the Donora Branch

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JamesPBraum

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4: 41 pm    Post subject: Information on the Donora Branch Reply with quote

Hey, I'm planning to do a presentation on the Donora branch for a national model railroad association division meeting at new eagle in November. I've got the information from the High and dry book, (properly cited I promise), an employee handbook, and my photos from 2015-2018 of the remaining grade.

I'm asking for any information on the branch, photos of the branch when it still had rail, memories of the line, etc. I did a presentation on a portion of the line last year, and wanted to continue the theme, since I only did a brief mention of the line. Thank you.
PWVJer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6: 55 pm    Post subject: Donora Branch info Reply with quote

We don't have much on this short branch, a lot of stuff shows-up
in bits & pieces. Company
Work-train Reports, Company General Notice's,
and assorted accident & incident reports.

Link:
http://thepwvhiline.com/Historic_Documents/Donora%20Southern%20Branch%20Accident%20Report%20Oct%2025%201962/Donora%20Southern%20Branch%20Accident%20Report.pdf

Also,
Gene Schaeffer book " N&W Railway Connellsville District "
has some nice large B/W prints as well.
Think we have a few Donora Southern/American Steel & Wire(USS Steel) hoppers, this may take some time to re-locate them.

...and this link:

http://www.thepwvhiline.com/BB/viewtopic.php?t=37&highlight=donora+souther+railroad&sid=c6059c4c9e185afd120c6823e6a53206
JamesPBraum

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 3: 10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update, while not entirely related to the PWV portion of the branch, I spent some time exploring the remains of the branch. On the bridge crossing 837, I found this in the abutment off the road.

https://scontent.fagc1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/29683198_815554055300701_8919697280287750495_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=c512689db60510ef34fb09d54edeae30&oe=5B6A5AB1

I found it since they cleared some of the brush away.
jayrod

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6: 02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That begs another question.... Where did P&WV ownership end and Donora Southern begin? For some reason, I thought P&WV owned the bridge. OK, answered my own question: Looking at the track chart and Google Earth, it appears that the connection was about 500' west of the bridge. DS went up the valley a bit I'm guessing to dump slag?
JamesPBraum

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11: 02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I understand, the DS ran towards present day Palmer park, and the dump was close to there. That also begs the question, where was the interchange yard for the PWV and the DS? The employee book I have lists the stations as "Sudan" "Baird" and Donora. The Baird station was 5.3 miles east of Sudan, and the Donora is .9 east of Baird. I know there was a track by the Sudan viaduct for it, but how far down did the PWV have rights to run?
jayrod

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6: 38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The switch to Donora Southern at MP 5.9 or Sta 0+00 was roughly 250' to 500' west of the bridge (there's a pond there now). Per the 1952 track chart, just west of the switch was a double ended siding that ran west to just short of Jones Ln. I'd assume that was the interchange point.

Use the email link below the post so I can have your email address. I'll send the chart.
PWVJer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 6: 32 am    Post subject: Donora-Baird Exchange Reply with quote

...Jayrod's looks to about accurate.
Hi-Line image one-storage drive shows we do have
one(1) or two(2) images from the late Mike Coroazza collection.
N&W unit(s) @ Baird circa 1968 ?????

This will take some serious time digging/looking to
recover & post.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The P&WV Hi-Line Forum Index -> Messages All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: