The The P&WV Hi-Line
P&WV Technical and Historical Interest Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Holy Cow! A P&WV Drawings Bonanza!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jayrod

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9: 43 pm    Post subject: Holy Cow! A P&WV Drawings Bonanza! Reply with quote

Hang on to your seats, folks. The Hi-Line has come into possession of a huge (not an exaggeration) trove of drawings: Blueprints, original ink on vellums, pencil on graph paper, you name it. PT&W PC&W, CC, WPT, WSB, P&WV and N&W. From parcel maps of the proposed purchase of right of way in 1902 to structures like Whiskey Run viaduct, Rook roundhouse and possibly some of the Wabash Building. Also proposed branches never built. Just to name a few highlights that we sneaked a look at while packing them up. Many/most still have their circular index tags affixed. A fair portion are in very good to excellent condition. The most uttered phrase today was "Wow, check this out..."

Thanks goes to Rick Rowlands of Youngstown Steel Heritage who rescued the drawings from possible destruction and offered to donate the materials to the Hi-Line (at Jayrod's urging).

Thanks to Jer, Jim, Ed, Gene and Dave for taking the time to pack them up and haul it all back to Pittsburgh over the next few days.

Now begins the monumental task of sorting, cataloging and discovering what all is there. If anyone else want to help I think I heard Jer offer pizza & beer. Too bad I live in Akron. Maybe another road trip.....
PWV101
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 6: 43 am    Post subject: Drawings Reply with quote

Here is a sample of what we found. Great stuff!
Original drawings of the Rook Round WPTR 1904.

Longview Station

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 9: 12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A big Thank You to Rick Rowlands for the "high green" in allowing the P&WV Hi-Line Group access to the vast collection of P&WV/WPT/WSB/PC&W engineering drawings dating back to the first days of the WPT. For me, that one velum I found showing in great detail the track arrangement at Salida where the Montour R.R. and the WSB criss crossed, highlighting the trackage rights arrangement between them from Mifflin Junction on the WSB and Coverdale Mine on the Montour RR, then showing the WSB main track from Longview down through Bruceton outling the mining operations at Horning and Bruceton. This is where I grew up. The significance is tremendous as I see first hand how these railroads operated in their infancy. Mr. Rowlands, thank you.
JamesPBraum

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 8: 18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOAH. I can't wait to see the assorted bridges drawings. Especially the valley Inn one, as well as the other smaller ones the don't get the attention that Mingo Creek, Speers, and Pidgeon Creek get.
Longview Shops

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 10: 55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Stunning Struthers Stash = Sleepless Sunday Sunrises, thank you to all and Mr. Rick Rowlands !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The P&WV Hi-Line Forum Index -> Messages All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: