The The P&WV Hi-Line
P&WV Technical and Historical Interest Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Passenger car specifications

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rrman987

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 4: 51 pm    Post subject: Passenger car specifications Reply with quote

Anyone know what color and lettering font etc for the P&WV passenger car(s)? Were these Pulmans, though my Pullman book does not list or allude to P&WV cars. I see one photo in the "the book of all knowledge" :), but nothing on specifications.
jayrod

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 8: 08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're inquiring about the HW steel cars, they were built by AC&F in 1923. They were tacked on to a Pennsy order, hence the PRR style lettering and the bizarre ampersand (as PRR had none) when delivered. The lettering changed when the cars were repainted. The cars wore AC&F's version of standard "Pullman"green. Coaches #200 thru #208, combine #300, baggage/mail #400 & #401 and baggage #500 & #501. I haven't researched the PRR archives to figure out what the car layouts would have been. JZ might have equipment diagrams stashed in the archives.

Prior to that, it was a mish-mash of WSB & WPT cars, most of which were second hand. Most were retired with the arrival of the new cars in 1923. What wasn't retired went to MOW service.

I think the private cars may have all been Pullmans.

JZ will add any corrections to the above if I don't have it right.
rrman987

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 5: 10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information. I bought a set of MTH baby Madison Pullman cars for my fictitious Midwest P&WV division layout. The "story" will be P&WV has borrowed and evaluating if these cars will be useful on this line, so they will not be lettered for P&WV at this time. At least the colors will be close. And besides I don't know anyone who could re-letter the cars anyway.
jayrod

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 9: 36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ever wanted to re-letter them, let us know. I do have drawings and some artwork of the PRR alphabet from the 20's which can be used to generate the decals. This has been on my to-do list for quite a while.
rrman987

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 10: 44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jayrod,
Yes I would be interested in getting a quote for you to reletter these four cars. As I am an operator not a collector, I am not interested in rivet counted accuracy (you know walks like a duck, quack like a duck etc) just passes at first glance for P&WV passenger car.
Thanks
Sam
jayrod

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 3: 23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can supply the file needed to print the decals which you can then have printed. For P&WV fans (non-commercial), no charge. For commercial use, you'll need a license granted for any artwork. If others are interested, you may be able to get a price break on the printing based on quantity.

Of course, I'd have to fit this in around my real job(s) to get it done. It will move up in priority, though. I'll keep you posted.

As a reminder to the P&WV modelers, all the artwork done so far (check out the graphics page for samples) can be resized to any scale so if you have a hankering for a re-lettering project, let us know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The P&WV Hi-Line Forum Index -> Messages All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: