The The P&WV Hi-Line
P&WV Technical and Historical Interest Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Preserving AC&Y 505

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cameron Wolk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 10: 33 am    Post subject: Preserving AC&Y 505 Reply with quote

Hello forum members I've come to the interest of preserving the AC&Y's last remnant locomotive, AC&Y 505 as time meets its match. Understanding it is the only known AC&Y diesel to survive let alone one of the only H20-44s in the world it is quite a rarity in the time of today. It is currently awaiting sale at the Galveston RR museum where director Morris Gould has assured it will not be cut up and will be kept in the collection till a good home is found for it. As some of you may know the unit has damaged traction motors from Hurricane Ike making the unit currently inoperable at least in a moving perspective. I plan to purchase and restore this historic locomotive here in Pennsylvania as a P&WV H20-44 where there are better chances for operation and preservation. If anyone is interested in helping out with the process let alone starting a non-profit to preserve the 505 please contact me as soon as you can so we can organize a plan.
Cameron Wolk:
516-350-2166
camwolk@gmail.com
PWVJer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 5: 55 am    Post subject: More H-20 Propose chit-chat. Reply with quote

Scroll down & read " Saving AC&Y 505 " read all three(3) pages.
Here's a Link:

http://www.rypn.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=1
Cameron Wolk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 1: 54 pm    Post subject: Re: More H-20 Propose chit-chat. Reply with quote

[quote="PWVJer"]Scroll down & read " Saving AC&Y 505 " read all three(3) pages.
Here's a Link:

http://www.rypn.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=1[/quote]

Hi Jer that is my own RYPN post that you're referring to. I specifically created a separate article on the P&WV page to get a response from P&WV fans who might be interested in this project. If you're personally interested in working to saving the 505 just let me know and I'll get back to you.

Cameron
jayrod

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 11: 03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cameron,

We've been aware of the situation with 505 for years and have had some discussions on this board about it. When the unit first came up on
Sterling Rail, I notified others involved in preservation to see if there was any interest. We'd all love to see it return to NEO but it will involve some deep pockets
just to get it out of Galveston as it will have to be shipped on flat cars.

As for restoration, the unit was submerged in a 10' storm surge. With an OP engine, that puts at least the bottom of the cylinders under
water - salt water. I don't know if anything was done to stabilize the damage so it may only be usable for a static display so there isn't much hope for a return on investment.
AC&Y and FMs in general have a pretty small fan base.

However, we're all hoping it doesn't eventually get scrapped.
PWVJer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 2: 10 pm    Post subject: ...AC&Y 505 Reply with quote

...Yep, ditto what Jayrod posted, would like to see a P&WV FM , however,
it really should be in OHIO, maybe closer to AC&Y home rails. We (JR./JZ./Jayrod./ Charlie.)
have our plates pretty-full with the Hi-Line site and other on-going
projects. Best bet, " Age-of Steam Roundhouse ".

Heck, on a side note, we cannot get one single FM-H-20-44
model (in any scale) produced. ..and jez for years, we tried!!!!
Cameron Wolk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 8: 15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In response to some questions about the potential location of 505's restoration and eventual operation I will say the location will most likely not be in Ohio. Unfortunately many of the Ohio railroads and museums alike have declined to take in the 505 on the basis of security and insurance liabilities. This is coupled with the lack of experience with FM's O-P engines by many current railroad staff members which limits how far the restoration process can proceed if done.

I'm currently looking at options in Pennsylvania due to my own familiarity with the area as well as having good contacts with some of the short lines that operate in the region. Some of these companies include the Kiski Junction, Juniata Valley and MTA LIRR which have expressed some interest in taking in the locomotive and using it for their own freight/passenger services once restored on the property.
PWVJer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 7: 23 am    Post subject: the 505 a Kiski Home???? Reply with quote

HMmmm....The Kiski Jct. Railroad a possible FM home????. Visited & road the line about
2-years ago. Nice little ride and interesting short line
operation. Neat re-built & painted SW-8 Lehigh Valley # 126 is one of three units on the roster?
Well cared for ROW, Branch to the Rosebud Mine was CWR with steel ties.
I did hear that the owner of the Mine & railroad is a " Railfan with some $$$ "
The Kiski Junction Railroad Inc., is a working freight short line.

The rail line has been providing reliable freight service for over 150 years.

We have provided fun tourist train rides since 1996.

Seasonal rides run from June through October, with additional special trips
in December.

Our freight line hauls for the Allegheny Ludlum Bagdad Plant to the Norfolk Southern railroad system.
We also haul cattle feed supplement for Lansbury Trucking, unloading for truck shipment distribution.

In addition, we haul coal for Rosebud Mining Company. Over 130 coal cars are shipped multiple times per month from their Logansport Prep
Plant through the Norfolk Southern railroad system
to power plant companies around the United States such as the Homer City Plant.

Wish you Good-Luck with the H-20-44!
JR/JZ.
jayrod

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 4: 18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JZ - you still rolling pennies for your Powerball ticket purchases? I'm sure the Copley (Ohio) Historical Society would take it as a donation so they can display it next to their restored AC&Y station and caboose.
PWVJer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 6: 34 am    Post subject: Moe Money, Mo Money.... Reply with quote

Yep, I'm on roll, (no pun intended)
got $34.18 so far, yaaaa Baby, soon that FM will be Mine!
Cameron Wolk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 7: 00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I'm still learning from the Galveston museum the extant extent of the damage done to the 505 from Hurricane Ike would any forum members be able to confirm any additional facts about the 505? I'm in the long run looking to compile a service record of the locomotive documenting its life from the factory to ending its life on the SWPC in California. Photos, documents and other forms of info about AC&Y 505 are welcome.

Cameron
jayrod

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 5: 35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cameron,

I'm sure the folks at the AC&Y Historical Society can give you that info. See: http://www.acyhs.org/
Cameron Wolk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 6: 44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of November 2015 the project is progressing slowly in regards to the 505. Just recently I have come into contact with members of the ALLN whose employees have had interest in potentially heading the project. I'm hoping by next spring to head on over there and discuss the details of the project with their management including the fundraising, restoration and operation of AC&Y 505 on their home rails. In the meanwhile I've received new photos from Galveston including both exterior and interior shots. Check out the SterlingRail link at the bottom to view them.

http://www.sterlingrail.com/classifieds/classified.php?id=4597

Cameron Wolk: Trying to give the only AC&Y FM another chance at life
Cameron Wolk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 8: 33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello gentlemen, I am proud to announce the launch of Project 505's online fundraiser. We expect a cost of $30000 to cover Phase 1 which includes purchasing and inspecting this historic locomotive for transport. I will be speaking shortly with Allentown & Auburn RR officials to expand our outreach and make prior preparations in its wake. If you could spread the word through your organizations and get in touch with friends I believe this could make a worthwhile experience for all parties involved. I'll keep you posted in the coming months to follow,

Cameron

https://fundly.com/saving-ac-y-505
jayrod

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8: 56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cameron,

I'm sure you picked this up on RYPN - form a 501(c)3 (ya, I know it's a pain in the butt and you'll have to be an accountant of sorts and it'll make you "legitimate") and then market the pants off it... everywhere, not just rail related places. You need to be able to explain in an elevator speech: Who, what, when, where and, the biggy, WHY. Crowd funding is a tough nut to crack unless little Johnny needs a life-saving operation and mom & dad have no insurance. Learn to apply for grants and go after every one you can dredge up. Stay away from the matching grants unless your fundraising really gets going. Oh ya, and find a secure place to put it. I don't know what the Galveston folks will take for it, but moving it will cost an arm, leg and your first born. Been there, done that. Not trying to discourage you, just know you have a steep uphill climb ahead of you. Seriously though I wish you good luck.
Cameron Wolk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5: 43 pm    Post subject: Project Kaputt Reply with quote

I'm afraid this project is dead gentlemen. I forgot to inform the P&WV community but it simply didn't work out like I thought it would. #505 will be retained in the Galveston collection with a restoration of their own in the near future. They had a change of heart and I'm honestly happy for them. I wasn't too optimistic about the prospects for this project from the beginning however I'd be lying if I said I didn't have fun with it. If anyone has some P&WV locomotive in mind they'd like to save give me a heads up anytime. Thank you all for your support.

Cameron Wolk
jayrod

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7: 23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, unless something is stashed away in a back corner somewhere unknown to the world, I don't believe there are any P&WV locomotive out there. I'm only aware of some cabooses and possibly some passenger cars still in existence at a restaurant in eastern PA.
Cameron Wolk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12: 30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="jayrod"]Well, unless something is stashed away in a back corner somewhere unknown to the world, I don't believe there are any P&WV locomotive out there. I'm only aware of some cabooses and possibly some passenger cars still in existence at a restaurant in eastern PA.[/quote]
Whatever happened to #30 Eric, was she scrapped already. I remember someone saying she was still with us albeit re-powered with an EMD. I'd look into that if you'd be willing to lend support.
jayrod

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10: 16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. It wound up at Patapsco and Back River at Sparrows Point. There is some confusion about it. I think it was #355. Some think it was #335/#147 and had a bicentennial paint scheme. In either case, I don't know the disposition after Sparrows Point went under in 2010. It likely no longer exists.
Cameron Wolk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1: 11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="jayrod"]Oh yeah, I forgot about that. It wound up at Patapsco and Back River at Sparrows Point. There is some confusion about it. I think it was #355. Some think it was #335/#147 and had a bicentennial paint scheme. In either case, I don't know the disposition after Sparrows Point went under in 2010. It likely no longer exists.[/quote]
Apparently.... it got scrapped and not too long ago. How did we let that slip through, I'm scratching my head about this. Oh well on to better projects I suppose.
jayrod

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2: 03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a little digging, with a builders number of 69656, it was definitely PBR 355, not the one in the bicentennial scheme (#335/#147). It did get an EMD prime mover in 1975 along with the new radiator compartment and headlight, same as #147.

Since it was heavily "kit-bashed", if it still existed, I wouldn't vote for it as a candidate for preservation in a P&WV sense. Maybe as a curiosity. To put it back as original would have been a mighty task and taken cubic dollars.

Personally, I have to pick my battles and I'm already involved in more than enough rail equipment to maintain and restore. If you decide to move to Ohio, I can get you good & dirty if you want to get hands-on.
PWVJer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4: 05 pm    Post subject: PWV 30 Reply with quote

Scrapped/cut-up, about 2-3 years ago. We do have a scrapping date.
& contractor. That info is filed somewhere...????
Link:
http://www.thepwvhiline.com/PWV30/index.html

JZ.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The P&WV Hi-Line Forum Index -> Messages All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: