The The P&WV Hi-Line
P&WV Technical and Historical Interest Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

P&WV CTC Signals

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rich_S

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 6: 26 pm    Post subject: P&WV CTC Signals Reply with quote

Hello Group, I'm looking for a copy of a P&WV Signal Chart, if one exists? Most railroad created signal charts so employees could learn the signals used on the railroad.

One such example is this one used by the N&W, where is shows the signal, signal name and rule number on the front and explains the signal definitions on the back of the card.

Does a chart like the above chart exist for the P&WV? Is there a copy of one in the files section on the Hi-Line web site?
PWVJer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8: 37 am    Post subject: ...CTC training charts. Reply with quote

Rich & Others interested,
I believe there are several P&WV and
U.S.& S.(Union Switch & Signal) small
official training info manuals. In addition, I do remember
looking at several archive files filled with
related CTC operations materials.
At this point I'm not sure what box's they have
been stored-in.
I started search's but no luck so far.

Good & Bad News.
It's sometimes very difficult to stay on task(specific subjects search)
because you simply get distracted by other non related materials.
Case-in point... found large piles/stacks of specific derailment- accident & operations
reports. All Very Detailed! Circa 1958-1963 so far...

This is the most informative stuff I have seen in the P&WV Archives to date.
I told JR, we gott'a get some of this report materials posted soon!

JZ.
Rich_S

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 5: 51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi JZ, That would be great if you could find a signal chart for the P&WV. I was told a number of years ago the P&WV had a poor man's CTC? I was told the P&WV had a stop and throw switch signal after the US&S CTC was installed?

Did the dispatcher at Rook control the switches on passing sidings or did crews have to stop and line the switch for the siding when meets were scheduled?
Longview Station

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10: 16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The P&WV traffic control system had a combination of both power and hand throw main track switches. At some locations you had a power switch on one end and a sping/hand throw switch on the other. The train dispatcher had control of the power switches but you could also put em in hand and reverse the points. At most switch locations, but not at all you also had a unlock box for the main track switches. If the unlock wasn't switched inside the seperate box, you could not throw the switch. At some locations such as Horning and Bruceton you had hand throw switch's with "S" plates mounted to the switch and CTC "stop & stay" signals at one end, but not the other. "S" of course meant spring switch so if you were trailing the switch, you didn't have to line it by hand, but you also could not make a reverse move while occupying a spring switch. The CTC on the P&WV was fascinating and I am lucky I photographed 99 percent of it before it was retired. Also, Longview & Pierce had stop & stay signals for all 3 directions and also had power switches. I use to listen to the power switch at Longview when it was being reversed. I enjoyed hearing the traffic control relays dancing inside the cabinet when a route was being cleared, then the whine of the electric motor inside the power switch when it was being reversed. Another look after the power switch stopped at the signals revealed either a "low" yellow or a clear signal depending on the route being lined. Also at Mile Post 20 you had east and west stop & stay signals which were maybe a quarter mile from the East End of Monessen. I guess this set up was for crews switching at Monessen so they had head room at the east end ? At the East End of Castle Shannon you had a stop & stay signal that had the eastward "approach" signal for Longview included in it. You had 2, 3 aspect signal masts at the east end of Castle Shannon, the top was for main track movements, the bottom 3 aspect mast was for diverging to the Mifflin Branch. And last, at many locations you also had a "S" signal aspect indicating take siding.

Believe me I miss those P&WV CTC signals.
Rich_S

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6: 53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene, Thanks for the update. I knew the P&WV had spring switches at some locations, but I was trying to figure out if all other control points on the main had power switches or if there were any passing sidings that the crew still had to manually line into and out of?

On a side note, where I work we have some switches that some people call flop switches and other people call run through switches. I believe the true name of the switch is a variable switch. When the switch is against you, you can run through it and it will align to your route and stay. Flop switches have the same rules as those that apply for spring switches. You cannot make a reverse move through a flop switch until you are clear of the switch and the switch is checked for alignment.

I've also been searching for a P&WV signal chart that shows all of the signal aspects / indications used by the P&WV. Do you happen to know of any for sale? I've found two track charts, just haven't found any signal charts.

Here is a book idea, how about a book on the P&WV CTC signal system, showing all of the signals per location and if possible, showing each signal indication and what route is lined when a specific indication is displayed, then showing how the levers on the CTC board were either in normal or revered position the above location and signal indication? Not sure if that is possible or if any publishers would even be interested in such a book, but I would purchased a book on the P&WV CTC and signals.
Longview Station

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7: 55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich;

Usually if you lined yourself into any passing siding without a power switch on the opposite end, you had a spring switch so you didn't have to stop as you departed as long as you either had a dwarf signal indication giving you permission out or permission by the "Stop & Stay" from the train dispatcher as all of the sidings had dwarf signals which were stop & stay.

I'd love to do a all color book on the P&WV CTC.
I have 99 percent of all of the P&WV CTC signals photographed both in color and black & white along with some of it being taken down and scrapped.
If I would consider it, I would do it myself through my "Montour Shops".
I have alot future book plans and as long as I break even in sales to refinance the next project, I will keep moving forward.

If you know anyone considering book purchases for Christmas, point them my way as each book that I have published is a substantial investment and each sale is another footstep forward to my next project.

The P&WV rule book has a chapter on signals but its not a perfect replica of their own system.

G.P.S.
jayrod

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10: 49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If yinz guys (brushing up on my Pittsburghese) could define the rules/aspects and what equipment was used, I'd put a chart and info sheet together as time permits. I'm basically signal ignorant so If I tried on my own, it would never get done and probably be all wrong. Might be a fun little project...
Rich_S

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7: 54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If yinz guys (brushing up on my Pittsburghese) could define the rules/aspects and what equipment was used, I'd put a chart and info sheet together as time permits. I'm basically signal ignorant so If I tried on my own, it would never get done and probably be all wrong. Might be a fun little project...

Jayrod, I could probably guess at three of the easy ones as they tend to be pretty standard,
Green Over Red - Clear
Yellow Over Red - Approach
Red Over Red - Stop

Dwarf signals seem to always convey slow speeds,
Green over Red dwarf signal - slow clear
Yellow over Red dwarf signal - slow approach
Red over Yellow dwarf signal - Restricting

But without a true P&WV color signal chart, the above are just guesses on my part. Where you really run into issues are, did the P&WV use a Yellow over Green on a high signal and if they did, was it a Approach Medium or some type of diverging indication? Same as Red over Green on a high signal, was it medium or slow clear or did it convey some other meaning? Without a actual color signal chart for the P&WV, we are just guessing.
tom w

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 5: 00 pm    Post subject: P&WV Rules Book signal colors Reply with quote

I have a June 1, 1953 Rules for the goverment of the Operating Deptartment. It has the color indication in the book. I will try to scan them and post the pictures.
Tom Wilson
Rich_S

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 5: 44 pm    Post subject: Re: P&WV Rules Book signal colors Reply with quote

Quote:
I have a June 1, 1953 Rules for the goverment of the Operating Deptartment. It has the color indication in the book. I will try to scan them and post the pictures.
Tom Wilson

Tom, that would be great, thank you.
tomw

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 5: 09 pm    Post subject: CTC Signals Reply with quote

Hi Group, I posted the CTC signal indication from 1953 P&WV Rulebook on my web site. Click on the link to ithttp://pwvrr.webs.com/ctcsignalrulebookstations.htm
Tom Wilson
The total amount of pages is 167
Rich_S

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3: 46 pm    Post subject: Re: CTC Signals Reply with quote

Quote:
Hi Group, I posted the CTC signal indication from 1953 P&WV Rulebook on my web site. Click on the link to ithttp://pwvrr.webs.com/ctcsignalrulebookstations.htm
Tom Wilson
The total amount of pages is 167

Tom, Thank you for posting this material, that is exactly what I was looking for as it answers a lot of my questions.

On a side note, do you have any new videos of your layout? The Maple Ave. section looks great. Is the Brass Monkey Bar a tip of the hat to Jack Bogut and his Bogut in the morning radio show?
tomw

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 5: 14 pm    Post subject: Your welcome Reply with quote

The Brass Monkey Bar is in Wilson right down from the Benzine Gate at Clairton. At least it was a few years ago. Here is a link to you tube channel with all my videos. I have been operating my layout with track warrents and I am now chaning over to TT&TO operation. The rule book is now coming in handy. I am using the form 19 and Form A from the book. It even tells you how to write a order. The schedule I am using is from the 1948 rulebook. It was the last one to post the meet times in the time table.
Later,
Tom
Just open up the you tube channel to get to them all. I think there about 20 or so.

http://youtu.be/MA7RNh103LQ
Rich_S

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 6: 17 pm    Post subject: Re: Your welcome Reply with quote

Quote:
Just open up the you tube channel to get to them all. I think there about 20 or so.

http://youtu.be/MA7RNh103LQ

I know that dispatcher (RJP), I've received many orders from him on the WVC&P, Bob is a good guy. In my opinion Timetable and Train Order operation is the way to go. I'm not a big fan of track warrents, unless you are modeling current day operations.
tomw

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11: 40 am    Post subject: Dispatcher Reply with quote

RJP and I go way back to the mid 70's, I used to operate on his old layout in the up stairs bedroom. We have been friends a long time.
Tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The P&WV Hi-Line Forum Index -> Messages All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: