The The P&WV Hi-Line
P&WV Technical and Historical Interest Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No coal from Westland

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jayrod

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7: 57 am    Post subject: No coal from Westland Reply with quote

Wilson Creek Energy withdrew its application to mine coal at Westland citing low demand. Ref: http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/break11/08-09-2012-westland-mine

I can't figure how that would have worked, anyway. They'd have to pay MarkWest something to use their track not to mention squeezing in a loading track or two. With all the cheap natural gas, I'm surprised they didn't pull out much earlier.
PWVJer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11: 33 am    Post subject: .. future.expectations Reply with quote

J-man,
well maybe only for now, the ol'e P&WV still has
quite-a-bit of "met-coal" reserves on or very near
the current ROW.
If/when the markets (over-seas & domestic) improve
conditions for mining these fosil fuels will again take place.
BTW, saw this bumper-sticker on a Yellow Cab
in Elkins W.Va...

" Comrade O has got to Go! "
...and take his enviornmental WACKO ilk along!"
jayrod

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1: 41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

National politics has little to do with it. It doesn't matter to which ruling party we subserve (using the obsolete definition), it's simple supply, demand and geography. With the switch to cheaper and cleaner natural gas for power generation in the US, domestic coal demand is way down. Same thing in Europe. Domestic met coal has been low for decades since heavy steel production moved off-shore.

Coal demand in China and India remains high but geographically, South Africa and Australia are closer. Hence, they have lower shipping costs. U.S. export terminals are being expanded, but mainly on the east and gulf coasts which does little to be real competitive to southeast Asia. What little coal is exported from the west coast still has a long way to go across the Pacific and they have to contend with state mandated environmental restrictions on coal handling.
Rich_S

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7: 13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="jayrod"]National politics has little to do with it. It doesn't matter to which ruling party we subserve (using the obsolete definition), it's simple supply, demand and geography. With the switch to cheaper and cleaner natural gas for power generation in the US, domestic coal demand is way down. Same thing in Europe. Domestic met coal has been low for decades since heavy steel production moved off-shore. [/quote]

Jayrod,
I hate to disagree, but I'm going to. The current administration has imposed some of the strictest stack emissions laws for coal fired power plants making it almost impossible for some of the older plants to meet the new regulations. so the power companies have no other choice but shut the plants down. We are loosing two plants in this area, one in West Elizabeth and one in West Pittsburg (near New Castle) It is because of national politics that the coal mining industry is way down. NS released not long ago, their shipments were down about 30%. Natural Gas maybe cheaper, but you cannot switch a coal fired power plant over night to Natural Gas, if you could the power companies would not be shutting down their West Elizabeth and West Pittsburg plants. When I was a kid growing up, we had a saying "He speaks with a forked tongue" Well let me tell you, the current administration "Speaks with a forked tongue" If you don't believe me, just ask a coal miner.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The P&WV Hi-Line Forum Index -> Messages All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: