The The P&WV Hi-Line
P&WV Technical and Historical Interest Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

P&WV Historic Archive Collection

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PWVJer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7: 54 am    Post subject: P&WV Historic Archive Collection Reply with quote

Well, over the past few summer weeks, Longview(VW) has been quietly sending
(transfer-over) MORE... & More... & more...P&WV Archive materials in his care.
The latest batch's included some of the
"Original Framed Images/Documents!" that hung in various P&WV Corp. officies.
Some astounding stuff!!!

It's now very hard to explain & comprehend the shear-size, volume & subject matter that has been saved.
Again, thanks to Gene & Bill P.'s long term vision & interest.
Now, all the P&WV/Hi-Line/Alphabet fans need is nice place to preserve, present/share it.
$$$Money$$$...is now all that is needed.
Any "real suggestions" for funding? Or, related ideas etc. What to do next???
Other than play'n the Lotto or Power-Ball!
JR/JZ.
Dave Stanton

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 11: 36 am    Post subject: A place to preserve Reply with quote

If you would be interested? We have our DARE Model Railroad Club in the Venetia Heritage Society building(the old Venetia School) Peters Township. I am on the board and we have a meeting Tuesday. There are a few rooms available. I could run a museum idea by them.

Dave
PWVJer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1: 23 pm    Post subject: Achives stuff Reply with quote

I'm not sure that would be a easy/work-able facility for all the Archives in this ever-growing collection.
Would require at least 3-4 large, safe /secure rooms, just to store & start the sorting/catagorize the materials.
One room alone, to place all the very large & small PC stuff, etc.

30+ 4-drawer file cabs.(both document & drawing sizes.)
I would guess we have about 2000+, yes... two-thousand! A range of
very large (28"X72") to small (9"X 12") sizes, of original drawings, diagrams, maps, and blue prints & so-on.
This in addition to the vast amount of Co. written reports, letters and daily railroad operation forms
from various P&WV transportation/personal Depts.
Plus' other P&WV related materials...a group to long to even list.
...not to forget the 30+ binders of image prints, slides. original photos & negs.
I'm sure Longview (VW) could/can add much more to the above collection listings.

We have done only a quick-look at the collection in general. Only about 5 or 6 box's looked at very carefully.
Hope you may now better understand the amount of work & planning to do in any type of future move.
JR/JZ.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The P&WV Hi-Line Forum Index -> Messages All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: