The The P&WV Hi-Line
P&WV Technical and Historical Interest Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Communications

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7: 41 pm    Post subject: Communications Reply with quote

How did the older railroads stay in communications with the dispatch like the more modern railroads?
Since I dont live back in the PGH area does the W&LE,SWP and AVR use some kind of track warrant system? I would assume they do use two way communications.
The reason is I am a Ham Radio Operator, Railscanner and love watching the railroad. I was always interested in the railroad since I was a young guy.

Thanks

Glenn
PWVJer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11: 58 am    Post subject: P&WV Communications Reply with quote

Glen,
Communications (P&WV Era) were done by Telephone, Telegraph
and some two-way direct lines(some with speakers) at Rook between the Yard Office and
Scale & Crew House and also the Round House Office.
There were many telephone booths along the line(such as Howard's example photo)
and a few cement pre-cast ones as well...(Stuben St.) for example. Each station(s) had both Phone & Telegraph with form 19's.

General Electric Commications information on two-way mobile radios started in late 1957, eairly 1958
(Engine Radios sooner, and crew Hand-Helds later).
I believe Motorola was another supplier.
Today, PC's, Fax and Cell Phones and hand held Radios do the job.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The P&WV Hi-Line Forum Index -> Messages All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: