The The P&WV Hi-Line
P&WV Technical and Historical Interest Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wouldn't It Be Neat If...?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ple1556

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 10: 46 am    Post subject: Wouldn't It Be Neat If...? Reply with quote

Several yeras ago PBS had a special called "Things That Aren't There Anymore". It focused mainly about old buildings, odd buildings, bridges, etc., that were torn down or detroyed. Wouldn't it be neat if PBS did a special on RAILROADS THAT AREN'T HERE ANYMORE? AND THE INDUSTRIES THEY SERVED? :?: :?:
User Name Taken!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 12: 45 am    Post subject: PBS Not What They Used to Be! Reply with quote

A very good theme, and it could have a fairly wide audience even beyond railfans and historians, unfortunately I would say that money donated to most PBS stations today is money that could be used better at some other non-profit like the Salvation Army or the Red Cross! WQED in Pittsburgh is one of the best examples. They were at one time one of the largest producers of documentaries for National Geographic and other educational groups, but all that is long gone! About the only quality stuff that PBS puts on anymore is Frontline and that is only about once a month or so. I think most PBS stations have pledge periods about once a month and they put on the same crap like Andre Reau, and Motown Oldies with washed up Temptations and others that only baby boomers would remember! I think Rick Seeback did those Things that Are Not Here Anymore, and I would say that along with his series of other Western Pa. themes were the last good locally produced programs.
Fla. Mike

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 12: 51 am    Post subject: User Name Taken! Reply with quote

Test, with the correct password that has happened to me a few times on this board! Anyone else have the same problem? Frustrating after you typed and gone on like I like to do!
ple1556

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 8: 04 pm    Post subject: Re: PBS Not What They Used to Be! Reply with quote

Guess that's why I have't seen anything locally produced on that channlel in ages! What a shame, I guess...

User Name Taken!" A very good theme, and it could have a fairly wide audience even beyond railfans and historians, unfortunately I would say that money donated to most PBS stations today is money that could be used better at some other non-profit like the Salvation Army or the Red Cross! WQED in Pittsburgh is one of the best examples. They were at one time one of the largest producers of documentaries for National Geographic and other educational groups, but all that is long gone! About the only quality stuff that PBS puts on anymore is Frontline and that is only about once a month or so. I think most PBS stations have pledge periods about once a month and they put on the same crap like Andre Reau, and Motown Oldies with washed up Temptations and others that only baby boomers would remember! I think Rick Seeback did those Things that Are Not Here Anymore, and I would say that along with his series of other Western Pa. themes were the last good locally produced programs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The P&WV Hi-Line Forum Index -> Messages All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: