The The P&WV Hi-Line
P&WV Technical and Historical Interest Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Everson or Owensdale

View previous topic :: View next topic  
camp car bill

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1: 41 pm    Post subject: Everson or Owensdale Reply with quote

Does anyone know why the WE calls the Interchange at M.P. 5,Everson?

M.P. 5 was always knowen as Owensdale while I was working on the PWV and NW

ccb

doe
PWVJer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1: 49 pm    Post subject: MP-5 Reply with quote

Hey Bill,
Do you know if there was a telephone call-box at this location in the P&WV time span?
camp car bill

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 5: 26 pm    Post subject: MP 5 Reply with quote

PWVjer

I do not recall if there was a telephone box here or not.My early years here was working on the Owensdale Bridge and the Foreman got the track time.My later years were spent on welders hi-rail truck which had a radio.I do know telephone service was suspended east of Monessen Station long before it was abandoned on the rest of the PWV,due to the thief of the copper wire.Thief was really bad in this area.

ccb
camp car bill

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2: 22 pm    Post subject: MP5 Reply with quote

PWVjer

After doing a lot of mental research over the weekend a nitch in my old feeble brain seems to tell me there was a perament telephone there.I do not recall a switch there,but the telephone had to be put there for the Train Dept.All Mof W Gangs carried portable phones with them.They were very easy to hook up with the bare copper wire,but when the vandals started stealing the bare copper wire the railroad repaced it with covered insulated wire.That requred you climb a pole or find a wire span that was low enough to scrape the insulation off so you could hook up the phone.

ccb
PittsburghMike

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7: 07 pm    Post subject: Re: Everson or Owensdale Reply with quote

[quote="camp car bill"]Does anyone know why the WE calls the Interchange at M.P. 5,Everson?

M.P. 5 was always knowen as Owensdale while I was working on the PWV and NW

ccb

doe[/quote]

Owensdale is the location of the connection, but the cars are actually interchanged at Everson on the SWP, hence the name of the interchange.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The P&WV Hi-Line Forum Index -> Messages All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: