The The P&WV Hi-Line
P&WV Technical and Historical Interest Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Track Work At Rook

View previous topic :: View next topic  
camp car bill

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10: 42 am    Post subject: Track Work At Rook Reply with quote

It appears track work is going on near the old auto unloading dock.Maybe to build a spur to unload SAND ???

ccb
camp car bill

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 1: 41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Work continues on the track at Rook.
I understand they are to build silos here to unload a particular type of sand to be used in the process of extracting natural gas from the ground.Some how they force the sand into the ground to remove the gas from the shale.
In the last couple years a Company has erecting these gas wells in Washington County.

ccb
PWV101
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 7: 23 pm    Post subject: Rook Track Work Reply with quote

I stopped by and photographed work being done at Rook Yard. They have repaired some track and removed some track. I will stop by from time to time to record the progress of the work. I posted the photos on The Hi-Line Photo Gallery.

JR

Here is the link to the photos.
http://www.thepwvhiline.com/CMGallery/thumbnails.php?album=27
camp car bill

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11: 03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Five sand silos now on the ground at Rook,setting just in front of Old Car Shop and Oily Water Separator.
This is the biggest thing to happen at Rook in a long time.

ccb
PWV101
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5: 51 am    Post subject: Photos of the silos Reply with quote

More photos of the Rook Yard work. The silos will be set on a new concrete pad. A track has been laid to bring the cars up to the unloading area.
I placed the images on the Hi-Line Photo Gallery.

JR

Follow this link to the images.

http://www.thepwvhiline.com/CMGallery/thumbnails.php?album=28
Charles Tapper

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 11: 31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE: sand for gas extraction. That would be "frac sand" used in "fracing" (hydraulically fracturing) a gas well. The sand is a "proppant" and is supposed to flow into the fractures generated by pressuring up the well bore to keep it open so gas can flow out. Shale wells really need elaborate frac jobs. Things must be heating up in the CBM and shale gas business up in PA (especially the Marcellus shale). Haliburton, Schlumberger, and BJ well services are names that I know, and I know Sclumberger particularly uses a specific sand (and it works well). I'm an oil and gas geologist specializing in coalbed methane and shale gas...

Charlie Tapper
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The P&WV Hi-Line Forum Index -> Messages All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: