The The P&WV Hi-Line
P&WV Technical and Historical Interest Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pittsburgh Terminal Coal Mines

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave Stanton

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 8: 31 am    Post subject: Pittsburgh Terminal Coal Mines Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me when Castle Shannon mines 1&2 and Mollenauer mine 3 closed. I was luckey enough to find the P&WV History of the High and Dry Line book online and bought it. I could not find any reference to these mines closing.

I would also like to thank you guys for such a great site. This is the first site I check everyday. Thanks,

Dave
PWVJer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 7: 36 pm    Post subject: Mine, Mine, all...MINE! Reply with quote

I think we have some info on these, I will try and find out where or what we did with that stuff as time permits.
We are working on some other mines (not served by the P&WV) but very close-by....Sommers Tipple, Pittsburgh Coal Co.
(Banning Mine #5 and Warden Mine #4) and some stuff for our Panhandle Fans...PRR, Pittsburgh Coal Co. (Lindely, Midland and Euclid mine & tipples)
near Houston Pa. Also, some picks of Champion 1925 and 1956 era. and last, a shot of National Mine #1 at Sygan.

Many of these were requested by interested fans some time ago.
We are working on the CTC pics part 2, West-end, about 20 color GPS images and 25 or so documents for this big update.
We will try and do a quick Historical post on these mines, then we will do CTC part 2.
...are we good or what? The mine pics are up!
Dave Stanton

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 9: 47 am    Post subject: Partial answer to my own question Reply with quote

Looking at the Castle Shannon Library web site, I found out that Mines 1 & 2 were in operation from 1902 until 1938. Miners housers were along Rt 88 until about 1947. Still would like to know about Mine #3. I think this is the greatest railroad site anywhere. Thanks
Dave Stanton

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10: 26 am    Post subject: Mine #3 Reply with quote

You can tell how busy I am at work today. I found an ariel photo on the W&LE site that shows great views of Mine three. This is the pennpilot photo from PSU. These views seem to be from around 1938 to 1940.
PWVJer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4: 24 pm    Post subject: Mine stuff... Reply with quote

Dave, glad you found info. this is about what I have, I think we saw some more images of this mine(s) from some members of the CS historical group.
JZ.
Beech Cricker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8: 17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

Excellent idea in applying Penn Pilot to Mine No. 3 (now why didn't I think of that?). In the earlier photo, the Mine No. 3 complex looks like it was immense--look at all the hoppers on hand there! It appears the drift is to the norhtwest of the tipple, up the hill. I assume an incline of sorts extended from the drift down to the tipple. Do you agree? I haven't been to this area in some years now but don't recall that hill being that extensive, in terms of elevation change, so maybe that incline (assuming my assumption is correct) wasn't all that steep.

Also I checked the 1967 view. It appears the drift site (again, assuming my assumption above is correct) was not built on in terms of houses, stores or whatever. Is that still the case today? Is there anything up there in terms of mine remains?

Jeff Feldmeier
in the flatlands of Michigan
Dave Stanton

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 7: 33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff,

I was looking at the P&WV High and Dry book today. The reason #3 mine is so full is that there was a miners strike from April until the end of June in 1939. The date on the photo is May 17 1939.
PWVBen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 12: 46 am    Post subject: Re: Mine #3 Reply with quote

[quote="Dave Stanton"]You can tell how busy I am at work today. I found an ariel photo on the W&LE site that shows great views of Mine three. This is the pennpilot photo from PSU. These views seem to be from around 1938 to 1940.[/quote]

Hi Dave

Can you tell me the address for the pennpilot and W&LE website
that had the aerial photos of the coal mines in Castle Shannon ?
Thanks
Ben
ktrick45

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11: 05 am    Post subject: Re: Mine #3 Reply with quote

[quote="PWVBen"]
Can you tell me the address for the pennpilot and W&LE website
that had the aerial photos of the coal mines in Castle Shannon ?
Thanks
Ben[/quote]

I'm not Dave, but...

http://www.pennpilot.psu.edu/

Peace
Kevin
ple1556

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12: 59 pm    Post subject: Re: Mine, Mine, all...MINE! Reply with quote

Sommers? Did somebody mention Sommers? As in the P&LE Sommers branch? I happen to have a bunch of pictures I took of the Sommers branch from a few years ago (if that's the Sommers you're referring to). Believe it or not there are still a few interesting structures located along what's left of it!
PWVJer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7: 12 pm    Post subject: Old Historical Pic Reply with quote

Past Historical pic from Dec 07' up-date. Here is the Somers link:

http://www.thepwvhiline.com/SelectedLocalMines/Somers_Mine_Web.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The P&WV Hi-Line Forum Index -> Messages All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: