The The P&WV Hi-Line
P&WV Technical and Historical Interest Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Montour???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PWVJer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6: 26 am    Post subject: Montour??? Reply with quote

Hey Gene...
Champion Plant 1940's???
http://images.library.pitt.edu/cgi-bin/i/image/image-idx?sid=fe3c659d47faee1fa37e764e9a44e2e2;g=imls;med=1;c=consol;q1=consol;rgn1=consol_all;evl=full-image;quality=2;view=entry;subview=detail;lasttype=boolean;cc=consol;entryid=x-9116.370.cl;viewid=370CL.TIF;start=81;resnum=88
Longview Station

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 8: 16 am    Post subject: Champion Preparation Plant Reply with quote

Sure is Jer...
All that revenue coal waiting for movement.
What a terrible loss.
I remember walking through parts of that plant in the late 70's and early 80's while employed as YardMaster.
Nosiy and filthy from coal.
Water everywhere.
The Intercom costantly reverberating messages from distant places inside and outside the plant.
Hearing the gentle clunk of railroad cars being drifted under the tipple being loaded.
Standing in the shippers office, looking out over those same cars seen in that photo.
Glancing over that large shallow wood box in the shippers office that contained all of those "charge card sized metal plates" that contained customers names for loading/billing orders, and watching the shipper stamp way bills with those same plates, then later on each night having the 2nd Champion Conductor hand me those same bills, all filled out neatly with far away destinations where this "Champion Coal" was destined.
(I went back to the Shippers Office in 1986 after the plant closed, hoping to "Preserve" that box...but it was gone.)
Standing at the Rotary Dump watching hopper after hopper of "Stop-Off" coal being rotated and emptied into the dump.
Standing on one of the many staircases watching countless conveyors of coal being moved throughout the plant.
Standing on the main track under the tipple near the heat dryer, feeling the heat radiating from it and seeing the orange glow from inside...
Talking with all of those miners who kept that place running and who kept so many of us employed ...
Sad to say, its nothing but a fading memory...

VW
PWVBen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 12: 58 am    Post subject: Re: Champion Preparation Plant Reply with quote

[quote="Longview Station"]Sure is Jer...
All that revenue coal waiting for movement.
What a terrible loss.
I remember walking through parts of that plant in the late 70's and early 80's while employed as YardMaster.
Nosiy and filthy from coal.
Water everywhere.
The Intercom costantly reverberating messages from distant places inside and outside the plant.
Hearing the gentle clunk of railroad cars being drifted under the tipple being loaded.
Standing in the shippers office, looking out over those same cars seen in that photo.
Glancing over that large shallow wood box in the shippers office that contained all of those "charge card sized metal plates" that contained customers names for loading/billing orders, and watching the shipper stamp way bills with those same plates, then later on each night having the 2nd Champion Conductor hand me those same bills, all filled out neatly with far away destinations where this "Champion Coal" was destined.
(I went back to the Shippers Office in 1986 after the plant closed, hoping to "Preserve" that box...but it was gone.)
Standing at the Rotary Dump watching hopper after hopper of "Stop-Off" coal being rotated and emptied into the dump.
Standing on one of the many staircases watching countless conveyors of coal being moved throughout the plant.
Standing on the main track under the tipple near the heat dryer, feeling the heat radiating from it and seeing the orange glow from inside...
Talking with all of those miners who kept that place running and who kept so many of us employed ...
Sad to say, its nothing but a fading memory...

Hi

Would it be possible to get copies of some of those waybills ?
Thanks
Ben

VW[/quote]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The P&WV Hi-Line Forum Index -> Messages All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: