The The P&WV Hi-Line
P&WV Technical and Historical Interest Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UP POWER

View previous topic :: View next topic  
M.JCT.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12: 07 am    Post subject: UP POWER Reply with quote

Thanks for the shots out East,Here's a few from Bruceton and Rook.
http://minos.photosite.com/UPSLABTRAIN/?slideshow=true&photo=1
CuriousGeorge

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 4: 25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like thr sun broke through at just the right time on your shot just west of the Rook tunnel (photo 8). Really nice composition.
tcwright973

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5: 36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.Jct.
Nice photos, thanks for posting. I have a question however, on photo 16, the gondola on the far right appears to have New York Central markings. Is this rare, or is it kind of common to see that old a gondola still in service?
Tom
M.JCT.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7: 47 pm    Post subject: NYC Gondos Reply with quote

Tom, Im not sure From what I know the NYC merged with the Pennsy in 1968 to form the Penn Central.That lasted until 1976 when Conrail was formed when Conrail was split up in 1998 a subsidary of CSX (NYC LLC) purchaced a lot of cars and equipment.Their are a lot of old cars and equipment out there but the ones marked NYC in the photo probably are not 40 years old.
ple1556

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8: 56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I remember reading on another website (The P&LE Yahoo group I think) that when CONRAIL was bought by CSX & NS, all the CONRAIL rolling stock that was to go CSX was stencilled with NYC & rolling stock going to NS got the PRR stencil. It was merely a way of making sure who got what. Although once in a while I'll see a beat up coal hopper with PC reporting marks on NS coal trains moving thru Homestead heading down towards Brownsville, PA
tcwright973

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 10: 51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I was aware of the history of the mergers, that was what prompted my question. When I saw "NYC" on the gondola, my first thought was that one has a lot of mileage on it. But I had never heard about rolling stock being marked that way for NS & CSX. That could make it newer, but it still is probably got a lot of history, wouldn't you think. Anyway, I thought it was a pretty interesting photo.
Tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The P&WV Hi-Line Forum Index -> Messages All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: