The The P&WV Hi-Line
P&WV Technical and Historical Interest Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More Pics... MP49-50

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PWVJer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 4: 26 pm    Post subject: More Pics... MP49-50 Reply with quote

We added a few more images of Fairhaven/Oak that we ran across in our files (while looking for something else). Added them to the Historic Up-date!

Enjoy,
JR/JZ
Longview Station

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 10: 46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jer;
As I look through the newer images from Denny, the scene of the low boy switch and the section hands at Cretestone is neat.
I'll bet, technically speaking the Cretestone image of the 3 "section-hands" is actually Signal Maintainers working on a insulated joint.
3 "points of interest" that capture my attention...
The guy kneeling has joint bar insulation under his knee...
Then, the same kneeling guy who has his hands on the rail head, directly across from his right hand is the gadget that carries circut wiring underground, from rail to relay box...
The fellow in the center, if you look closely to the right of his right foot,
you can see the other gadget for the circut wiring.
And lastly, to the very right we see the wood bench that all CTC
Relay boxes had.
I'd bet these guys are actually P&WV signal maintainers replacing insulation at a insulated joint.
This scene reminds me of the West Switch Castle Shannon, lookingWest.
GPS
VW
PWV101
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6: 31 am    Post subject: Working with CTC Reply with quote

It would seem to me that the CTC system was a bit problematic and difficult to maintain. When was the CTC system installed on the railway and when was it disabled?
Longview Station

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 8: 00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, there were 2 seperate "signal" systems used on the P&WV.
Prior to "CTC" (Centralized Traffic Control), a seperate "ABS" signal system was used early on by the P&WV in the double track territory between Rook Yard and Pittsburgh, via Mt. Washington Tunnel.
From the files I have read, that early system was a constant problem.
With just 3 or 4 miles of operation, understanding the benefits of the expense of installing signals and maintenance on the double track, versus the simplier maintenance free train order operation, I sometimes wonder.
I understand signals were more of a safety measure versus human error in train orders, but that early signal system was not trustworthy and in constant state of failure.

Then as we know, the CTC was installed in the late 1940's and early 50's.
Although CTC gave the railroad some physical personality with wayside color signals, it meant the demise of train order operation. CTC was used up into the early 1990's, however from Pierce to Connellsville due to rusty rail condition, crews had to stop and, after recieving permission, go at restricted speed at each home signal until the W&LE finally turned off the power in those 40 miles and went back to train order operation for a short period of time between Pierce and Connellsville.

I remember during the last year of N&W operations into Connellsville, due to rusty rail conditions, usually 2 crews were required to and from Connellsville. I'm sure the reason for allowing this to happen was the agenda by management to show a higher operation costs as the "East End" was put up for abandoment.

About 1 year later, CTC was completly dis-continued on the entire P&WV.
Longview was the last control point on the P&WV under power. I remember W&LE signals maintainers on that last day calling the Brewster Train Dispatcher having him reverse the power switch at Longview for the Mifflin Branch one last time.

Once Longview was reversed, the power was turned off, signal masts turned to the field, and a private railroad contractor removed the power switch replacing it with a hand throw.

About 5 years ago, those US&S signal masts were removed from their concrete foundations and loaded into a gondola. It was the dead of winter and terribly cold out when the blue crane torched off the foundation bolts and lifted each signal mast from its concrete foundation.

The cantilever signal at the East End of Kelly was torched at its base, and it gently came down like a fallen tree. So sad.

From Bridgeville to Bower Hill to the East End of Kelly, Oak, Castle Shannon and Pierce, I was there recording the end of another era on the P&WV. I would of liked to spend more time photographing additional signal location retirements, but the temperature outside was in the single digits on several of those days with several inches of snow fall on the ground.

GPS
VW
PWVJer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7: 10 pm    Post subject: Signal Gang Reply with quote

I would agree with you, they really look like CTC/MOW guys. I think I may have a few more pics of these same guys working another section, Shannon,Kelly??
When we post these types of pics, the only information copy we use is what is written on the back of the photo.
JZ.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The P&WV Hi-Line Forum Index -> Messages All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: