The The P&WV Hi-Line
P&WV Technical and Historical Interest Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hi-Line up-dates

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PWVJer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 6: 57 pm    Post subject: Hi-Line up-dates Reply with quote

We have added three new Hi-Lines(1953) and some interesting pics taken on 8/3/46. We have several more from this date, and we will post these as well in a later update.
The #92 East on this day was a movement in two sections. The 1st was the P&WV 1100 on point, picked up the helper #1010 & cab at West Liberty. They shoved East, cut-off at Longview and returned to West Liberty just in time to help the second section with the 1105 on point. Second 92 also picked up several more cars along with the 1010 helper at West Liberty.

We showed Alex Mackanich(an ole' P&WV hat), these prints a few years ago, and he told us it was a "common thing" to move very heavy and long east-bounds in this manner. A good train crew could use the heavy train and speed to "rollor coaster" their way from Longview to C'ville.
PittsburghMike

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 11: 02 am    Post subject: Observation and a question... Reply with quote

Is it just me, or in the shot showing West Liberty yard with 92 in the distance, does it look like some ballast is need on the main track and siding?

Also, I'm trying to place the location of the last shot of #99 at Castle Shannon. Based on the stub siding, I'm guessing we are behind what I seem to remember was once a building supply company and the second car is just passing over McCully St. Correct?

Love the historical photos...
PWVJer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 2: 11 pm    Post subject: Location & Ballast. Reply with quote

Looks like they do need some ballast...remember this is just after the WWII big one and ROW looks like cinder-ballast was on the way out and heavy amounts of crushed stone was begining to be used more and more on the main line. In the photo (1105 at Shannon) the ties are "riding high" here as well.

Your location, I would also agree on, the end of Foley's siding/Castle Shannon Supply...
Mike, Look real close to that box-car next to the 1105's tender. Looks like the same one we've seen the 1010 shoving East...now we see this guy a day or so later going west???
In future Hi-Line issues ( July-Nov.53) they begin show us some shots of the 132 miles of main-line completely tamped & graded with the crushed stone and new 115lb. jointed rail.

Feb. 1953 the "Fast Moving Diesel Era" has started! A new (young) head-end brakeman recalls rolling-fast down thur Gastonville one night...going into one of the curves with three H20-44's and he swears, only the right-side of the trucks were touching the rail! Hanging-on to his seat box, shouting to the fireman..."you guys should think about gett'n this dam thing under control or we'll all be on the ground!!!".
Glad you and many others enjoy the pics & stories.
JZ/JR.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The P&WV Hi-Line Forum Index -> Messages All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: