The The P&WV Hi-Line
P&WV Technical and Historical Interest Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pictures

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MAC

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 3: 42 pm    Post subject: Pictures Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone had some pictures of the Bridgeville station, from the '40/'50s to post? I also would like to have some info/pictures of the yard/siding that was in Overbrook (Fairhaven?) at he same time period. Thanks in advance.
trackwalkers

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 4: 41 pm    Post subject: Pictures, Slides and Information Reply with quote

The next up-date will have most of what folks want to see about Rook Yard Structures. We have several Bridgeville Station photos for the near future plan posts. These are from the mid-60's. We have a source in Avella Pa. who has a shoe box full of old snap-shots. When we get a chance to get up that way we will pick them up and look thru for any shots of the Acme Washer Plant as well. Soooo....please be patient, we do plan to post a ton of stuff in our collection. If anyone out there would like to share (his or her) photos you can post them on the Message Board. If you need a bit of help with posting or have some "special" groups-of- pics you would like to place in the achives just let us know, we will be glad to help post them. We don't have everything you may want to see, but we will share what we have and try to get others to do the same. Who knows, we might get lucky, and see & find that elusive P&WV pic!
BillK

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 6: 23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have more copy's of "THE HIGHLINE" that your going to post?

bK

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 12: 20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have many, many copies of old "Hi-Lines" to post. We will add new "Hi-Lines" each month for quite a long time. We would also like to invite anyone who has anything to share with others to add a photo or other image to their post. To add a photo just click on the Img tag and point it to the site where the photo is saved. We have hundreds of images to share with you and are trying to add more content each week if possible or 2 weeks at the most. We will archive all of our images so you can go back and view anything we have posted in the past. If you have comments, questions or requests please let us know. We want this site to be a participation of all who visit.

The Webmasters
char140

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 7: 24 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures Reply with quote

[quote="MAC"]I was wondering if anyone had some pictures of the Bridgeville station, from the '40/'50s to post? I also would like to have some info/pictures of the yard/siding that was in Overbrook (Fairhaven?) at he same time period. Thanks in advance.[/quote]

Mac What kind of information are you looking for on the overbrook (fairhaven) siding? char 140
MACADO

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 10: 34 pm    Post subject: Overbrook/Fairhaven Reply with quote

I am wondering how big of a yard was there. As a young bot it seemed like a lot going on?
char140

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 12: 50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mac Overbrook (Fairhaven) Did not have a yard. There was a single siding, it could hold about 10 -12 cars. The Local Lumber Company would get two or three cars a week. The local Stone Co.would get a car with stone every few months. Plastering Co would get a box car load every few months. The Lumber company was the big's user of the sliding. I live in Overbrook 1953 to 1970 My dad was a engineer MCRR. I have a little story about that siding. In 1957 I was standing watching the train go by, the train derailed, right in front of me. Two box cars went over the hill side, one box car hit the two box cars on the siding, It push the box cars to the end of the siding the wheels stayed the body keep on going.
There was a Passenger station back in 20's or 30's . I saw picture of it in a book.
I hope I answer your question. Happy Railroading
PWVJer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5: 40 am    Post subject: Derailment 4/15/56 Reply with quote

Char140. could your date be 4/56? I have a pile of photos from D.Malachowski with some snap-shots and his first- hand information of this event. Also got quite a few snaps of the activity on and near the siding. Both steam(work extra) and FM days with some caboose shots. I will try and gather some of this stuff up and post it on one of our Historical up-dates. If you have any pics or more information let us know and we will include yours as well. Our images are not the best quality and it will take some JR's super powers, Photo shop and some other software we have to really bring them back to life.

Web-Masters.
JZ/JR
char140

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5: 08 pm    Post subject: Re: Derailment 4/15/56 Reply with quote

[quote="PWVJer"]Char140. could your date be 4/56? I have a pile of photos from D.Malachowski with some snap-shots and his first- hand information of this event. Also got quite a few snaps of the activity on and near the siding. Both steam(work extra) and FM days with some caboose shots. I will try and gather some of this stuff up and post it on one of our Historical up-dates. If you have any pics or more information let us know and we will include yours as well. Our images are not the best quality and it will take some JR's super powers, Photo shop and some other software we have to really bring them back to life.

Web-Masters.
JZ/JR[/quote]

PWVJer Hi The date of 1956 is probably right . I was only 10 or 11 years old at the time. unfortunately I have no pictures. I remember the Big Crane. I would love to see the pictures, I been trying to get some pictures of the wreck. I e mailed the newpaper to see if I can get some picture. I remember pictures being in the newpaper. Thank You P.S. That was fifty years ago, I'm Sixty now.
PWVJer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 6: 43 pm    Post subject: Derailment of #99 Reply with quote

Yep, Fairhaven 4/15/56 at 2:10 p.m. broken wheel on a box car near the end of the train. Found about 8 or so pics. They are not as bad as I thought. Pre-scanned one, and they will look fine. Also found the nice 4-page typed story by a young D.M. who tells in great detail the story with the images.
This is what I think You and Mac were looking for... I'll try and look for some more pics and maybe put it up on our next historical up-date story board.
Thanks again for your interest,
JZ.
Longview Station

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9: 13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of derailments, I have quite a selection of Pittsburgh & West Virginia Railway Train Accident Reports from the early 1960's. I'd have to look a bit further to see if there are any earlier reports, say from 1956.
Derailments usually cause extraordinary operations. After reading the message about Fairhaven, I opened the file to the 100 or so P&WV accident reports and pulled out the very top report that carries file #32-65.
Some here will remember the terrible pile up at Sudan in 1963. This report is quite interesting. I remember seeing photographs of this derailment. Maybe the photographs could be obtained, scanned and added to the Hi-Line. The report could also be included. I don't know if anyone photographed any of the P&LE reroutes, but reading these accident reports is a wonderful step back in time.
It begins stating at 5:15 PM on October 5, 1963 Train 92..."AJ-12" with engines, Western Maryland 55-413-237-403-239 derailed 37 cars, 27 loads and 10 empties in the cut at Sudan.
Train 92 had a total of 86 loads and 17 empties this date, 6,790 tons when the 22nd car from the locomotives, MRBX 258 which was a empty box car derailed causing the massive pile up.
Wreck cranes from both the Pittsburgh & West Virginia and Western Maryland Railway were used.
The derailment was caused by a broken rail on the high side of a curve, south rail. The rail was a 112 RE rail rolled in 1943.
A total of 9 P&WV trains were rerouted over the P&LE between Pittsburgh-West End and Connellsville.
Information containing car numbers and commodities of what each derailed car was carrying is included in this file.
Information about each detoured train, from engines number, train symbols, crew names and times are also included in this report.
One of the more interesting trains rerouted over the P&LE was P&WV train 92 on October 7, 1963. The locomotive consist was Western Maryland 191 leading 233-304-233-190 with 53 loads and 16 empties.
This locomotive consist is being lead by a WM Alco RS-3. The third unit in the locomotive consist is WM #304, one of WM's 4 Alco FA's.
Five of the P&LE reroutes were solid consists of P&WV FM power.
There is also one "Form 19" included in the file. Train Order #296, Rook Pa, dated Oct 8, 1963 to C&E Trains West...at Connellsville.
It reads....Main Track between switches at Sudan is out of service. No. 1 track Sudan being used as main track between switches.
VW
MACADO

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1: 31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is MACADO aka MAC. My full name is Dave MacGregor, I now live in Texas. Thank you very much for the info. I this has cleared up a lot for me. For a boy of 5 or 6 it seemed a lot went on there. Once again thank you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The P&WV Hi-Line Forum Index -> Messages All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: