The The P&WV Hi-Line
P&WV Technical and Historical Interest Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

West End industries

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 9: 12 pm    Post subject: West End industries Reply with quote

I am modeling the west end, did Rennenkamp have a spur to their store?
Thanks in advance. Tom.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 11: 24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES, Rennekamp did have a spur.
The switch was located just off the long bridge adjacent to their property.
I believe I had photographed the switch before NS removed it.
tom

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9: 16 pm    Post subject: Rennenkamp Reply with quote

I know that they handle lumber today, do you know if they also had a concrete plant. I remember a sign by the Liberty Tunnel saying something about concrete? That was 20years ago. Does any know what the other industries next to Hahn Furniture where?
PWVJer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 7: 58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that Rennekamp on Woodville Ave. had at one time (P&WV era) both a Cement Batch Plant and a Pre-cast plant (Dry-Mix) blocks. The Co. expanded and had to move and now is on E. Carson St.(Southside).

"Seldom Seen" this is what the P&WV called the industrial area above Saw Mill Run Blvd,. In 1957/58 the P&WV serviced Roddis Plywood Corp., Assocciated Hardware Supply Co., Philip Carey Co. (roofing materials) and later about 1961, Hahn Furn. WRSE. The Belt Local serviced these 6 days-a-week. In it's time this was a very busy place for terminating traffic on the Railroad.

These buildings are still in use today, under different owners & names and none use or need rail service.
Tom

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9: 04 pm    Post subject: West End Reply with quote

The information sure is helpful, In my track chart it shows what I think are team tracks, could this be so . On the track chart it shows what blooks like a yard near the Liberty Tunnels. I wonder if this was just storage tracks? Thanks again for the help. If I can figure out how to post pictures I will.
Tom from Fla.
PWVJer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 5: 20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,
West Liberty did have a pretty good size yard in the 40's , 50's and very earily 60's. The two tracks closer to Rt,51
(Saw Mill Run Blvd.) for car storage. Lots of hoppers & gons both bad order shop cars, and those waiting for in-service orders. Rook yard was limited in size for car storage.

At the far East-end was the Station (almost under the Pgh. Railways bridge)also home to car inspectors and MofW gangs. During the steam era you could always find an engine working around the belt area. These would also help heavy trains up to Longview. Also helped heavy west-bound trains up into Rook Yard.

During the Deisel era 1950's FM helpers would be cut-in (head end) to assist East bound trains. These same units would also shove on the rear going up-hill into Rook. In a future up date we will post quite a few images of this action from the D.M. collection.

There were several more smaller on line shippers not mentioned above. I'll try to get a complete list...
What is more interesting is the number of off-line customers who received carloads in the yard. James.H. Matthews Bronze Div.(West Libery Ave.) 70 ton cov. hoppers full of clean foundry sand and other related raw materials. Johns Lumber and Ply. Co. sat right on the corner of Rt51 & West Liberty (Next to the Tubes) car loads of lumber & ply. and building products. Xmas trees (in Season). Detling & Hamilton (D&H burial vaults) they also made pre-cast wall and patio stones these firms were located on and near-by Banksville Rd. received cement & wire and steel rods.

These are just a few I could recall from talking to some of the Old P&WV hats who are still telling their stories.
littlesawmillrun

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 12: 12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SIDING PUT IN FOR SEVEN BAKER BROTHER THEY MADE WONDER BREAD
THEIR BAKERY IS NOW SERTA MATRESS FACTORY
STUDY WAS DONE TO EXTEND SIDING ACROSS GREENTREE ROAD
IT WAS NOT ECONOMICALLY FESIBLE
I AM WRITTING BOOK ON LSMRRR AND HAVE AND NEED MORE INFORMATION ON W.E. BRanch
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The P&WV Hi-Line Forum Index -> Messages All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: