The The P&WV Hi-Line
P&WV Technical and Historical Interest Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Norfolk & Western

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tcwright973

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8: 24 pm    Post subject: Norfolk & Western Reply with quote

I'm hoping someone can give me a short history lesson here. I noticed that the trestle over the Parkway West is lettered for the Norfolk & Western. I'm curious about the timeline and what railroads have owned this trackage in the past. Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7: 30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trestle over the Parkway West...I'm assuming your reference is the one at the Fort Pitt Tunnels...is actually the 2nd trestle at that location.
Originally the trestle was the Wabash-Pittsburgh Line that when originaly constructed extended from Downtown, Pittsburgh to Pittsburgh Junction, Ohio. Bankruptcy then recievership, those original 60 odd rail miles ended up becoming the Pittsburgh & West Virginia which added the West Side Belt (lower Parkway Bridge) via construction of a short piece of track at
Banksville Junction that linked both the P&WV and WSB. The West Side Belt ran from the Ohio River to Clairton. In the early 1930's, the P&WV built East to the Western Maryland at Connellsville.
In 1964 the P&WV is leased by the Norfolk & Western which becomes Norfolk Southern in 1982. Norfolk Southern vacated this former Pittsburgh Division in 1990 and the new regional Wheeling & Lake Erie becomes operator of the P&WV as NS subleases the P&WV. There still is a P&WV Trust Company where lease money goes.
tcwright973

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11: 25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. That is the trestle I was asking about, and that is exactly the information I was looking for. I appreciate your response.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The P&WV Hi-Line Forum Index -> Messages All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: