The The P&WV Hi-Line
P&WV Technical and Historical Interest Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mollenauer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beech Cricker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 9: 53 am    Post subject: Mollenauer Reply with quote

I have a few questions related to the old mining settlement of Mollenauer. To my understanding this was the cluster of company houses at or adjacent to today's PAT Washington Jct. These houses are still there:

http://www.coalcampusa.com/westpa/pittsburgh/montour3/mon3.htm

I learned that Mollenauer was the site of Mine No. 3 of the Pittsburgh Terminal R. R. & Coal Co., the one-time P&WV affiliate. According to a site on Allegheny County mines, this mine was in operation from c. 1903 to 1/5/1939:

http://patheoldminer.rootsweb.com/allindexp.html

I assume P&WV served this mine. If so, where was the tipple? I'm thinking it was on the east side of today's Route 88, as opposed to closer to the Mollenauer's houses which were of Route 88). In past visits to the area, I recall the extensive boney (or similar) piles east of the P&WV and Route 88, north of Valley Drive and directly east of the Route 88/Connor Road connection. I'm assume this mine waste is still there, along the hillside. Were these part of Mine No. 3? Maybe the tipple was in this immediate area?

Jeff Feldmeier
PWVJer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 10: 59 am    Post subject: Benicoll... Reply with quote

Pgh. Terminal #3 . Terminal #2 Castle Shannon, Terminal #4, Horning.
I don't want to steal Howard's thunder. So....pick-up a copy of "West Side Belt Railroad" you will see a bunch of nice old photos and lots of Maps. He covers this area in great detail. Let us know when you get his book. We learned quite a bit on the WSB.
Thanks for posting the pics.

JZ.
Beech Cricker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 12: 56 pm    Post subject: Re: Benicoll... Reply with quote

JZ,

I'd like to get the "High and Dry" book before the West Side book so as to get the overall picture first.

With your comments about getting the West Side book, I take it this board is only for discussion of post P&WV activities?

Jeff Feldmeier
PWVJer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 5: 17 pm    Post subject: WSB/wpt/P&WV Reply with quote

Jeff, we welcome any dicussion on all three R.R.'s, but most fans are looking for pure P&WV stuff. (Myself included) we have very little info. Pics, paper or otherwise on the WSB/WPT.
Howard is the expert on these two and any information we have comes directly from his books. P&WV (1940's, 50's and 60's) our Hi-line collection of papers, pics and other stuff related to daily operations are pretty good. My dad worked on the P&WV (N&W until 73') for over 45 yrs. and Grand-pap worked for the WPT and the WSB(call boy) he finished out with the P&WV. So, as web-master you can see which way this site leans.

The "Story of the High & Dry" this book may be a bit hard to find, and if/when you do find it, be ready for a hefty price tag. $125.00 to $200.00 for (mint) is average. When you see one, jump on it!!
JZ.
Beech Cricker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 6: 06 pm    Post subject: books Reply with quote

JZ,

I figured the "High and Dry" book would command top dollar, especially since it is out of print (I believe it is, anyway). I've been wanting to unload my Penn Central Power book for a few years now--perhaps if I do that I can "justify" buying High and Dry, assuming I can find it.

The West Belt book has been added to my book list. I suppose I should not wait to get the High and Dry book first as that may finding it may not not happen. Have their been any reviews written on either book to your knowledge?

Jeff Feldmeier
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The P&WV Hi-Line Forum Index -> Messages All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: