The The P&WV Hi-Line
P&WV Technical and Historical Interest Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Banning Bridge

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ranger101

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 9: 59 am    Post subject: Banning Bridge Reply with quote

Hello everyone,
New guy to this forum. I live about 15 minutes from the large Bridge located at Banning, Pa. I was wondering if there is any traffic that still uses the line and when? I would love to catch something on the bridge if I only knew when something may be there. I have been up to the beginning of the bridge. It is a sight to see from up there. It looks like the line is used, but not very much. When was the bridge constructed? To me, it rivals if not surpasses the B&LE bridge over the Allegheny River next to the Pennsylania Turnpike. I'm guessing that Norris Tunnel is pretty close to the bridge too. I would like to get out to the tunnel and get some shots of it too. I definitely know that I'm not walking across that bridge to do it. I do a lot of photography and railroads are the hobby part of it for me. I was railfanning CSX when I went up river a bit and boy was I surprised to see the bridge. Like I mentioned, I have searched the internet for any history of the structure, but nothing. Any answers would be greatly appreciated. Great forum everyone.
Tim
PWVJer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11: 11 am    Post subject: Banning info. Reply with quote

The bridge was completed about 1930. This section on the P&WV was known as the C-ville Extention. Pierce MP39.8 to 0.4 Connellsville, Pa. completed in 1931. Lots of WM and P&WV over-head traffic. Eastward, AJ-4 (94), AJ-2 (90) and AJ-12 (92).
Westward, AJ-1 (85), BT-1 (99), and AJ-3 (91). Also there were many extras and locals as well.
The span is located about MP 15 and is not to far from Norris Tunnel.
During the N&W Era there was even more and much longer train moves (late 60's, 70's and earily 80's)
Today, the W&LE moves some grain trains (guessing games as to when) and a local to Everson MP 5 (SWP/WE) inter-change on an as needed basis.
Your best bet to see a move: watch for a track-car going East, "Heads -Up" on the WE BB board and the Hi-line board as well, and hope for some luck!
If you can get/find a Copy of the High & Dry book this will help answer many of your P&WV questions.
CuriousGeorge

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 10: 13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work near the P&WV bridge that spans the Mon parrallel to I-70, and I've moticed most of the traffic to be in the evening, between 7-10 pm
banning mike

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10: 30 am    Post subject: Banning bridge Reply with quote

they still run trains over the bridge, once or twice a week. and today around 1:00 pm heading east, the large 50 car grain train is going through to Hegerstown WV.
Paul P

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 12: 04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one ?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=109980[/url][/code]
PLEzero

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 2: 20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a shot of the Wheeling crossing the Youghiogheny on January 20 of this year.

http://plezero.fotopic.net/p28527946.html
ranger101

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 2: 46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul and PLE real nice shots!!! Hopefully I can get out there and get some of my own.
Tim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The P&WV Hi-Line Forum Index -> Messages All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: