The The P&WV Hi-Line
P&WV Technical and Historical Interest Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Banning mine

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frank

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 12: 44 pm    Post subject: Banning mine Reply with quote

Just east of the high bridge in Banning PA is what looked to be a short side track or maybe something for the mine. Did the P&WV serve this mine or was there a short passing track there? There is also a short bridge (probably for the mine) going over top the P&WV right of way. I know the P&LE served the mine down below, but that was way back when, as I wasn't even old enough to see a P&LE train. Thanks for the help.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 11: 10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "high bridge" in Banning would be the Youghiogheny River Bridge...correct?
Then, "east" of that bridge the right of way enters a hard left turn into a cut heading towards Connellsville and Norris Tunnel.
No side track in or around here.
"West" of the "high bridge" are two mountains of mine slate...
And as the right of way curves to the right through both mountains after exiting the Youghiogheny River Bridge, is a overpass.
At the end of that curve use to be a spur.
That spur was "east" of Darr Road crossing that passed under the overpass and ended near where the hillside down to the river began.
That spur was known as BTU.
NS shortened the spur many moons ago when word surfaced that somone was looking at reclaiming those 2 mountains using NS (P&WV). NS was trying to show financial loss to the P&WV for abandoment and revenue wasn't wanted.
The W&LE removed BTU switch a number of years ago.
Do you remember the cable crossing over the Youghiogheny River for this mine? On the Banning side the concrete foundations for the towers still remain here and there.
I have a 35mm color image of a P&LE coal train "eastbound" taken from off the High Bridge about to pass under the P&WV taken in the 1980's.
Frank

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 10: 51 am    Post subject: Banning mine Reply with quote

I'm sorry I meant west of the bridge. Thats the siding I'm talking about. The cable crossing in Banning was used to move coal over the Yough river. Down the river a couple of miles in Jacobs Creek PA there was a cable ferry there also to move miners over to the mine at Van Meter. On the old P&LE right of way which is now the bike trail, there are still parts of the coal washing facility still standing. I think my grandmother has pictures, as she grew up in Banning. I'll try and dig some up.Thank you very much for your info. Itwas extremely helpful.
PWVJer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 2: 49 pm    Post subject: Banning Siding Reply with quote

The E. switch @ Banning siding was at MP 15.8 and the W. switch was @16.4. It was signalled for trains to take siding at the West-end only in the late 1950's to mid-60's.

We have a few nice shots of the Pittsburgh Coal Co. (Champion #5 Banning), Circa 1930's. We also have Pittsburgh Coal Co. Champion #4, Warden mine, circa 1930's, the" Euclid" and "Somers" Tipples and Mines as well. We plan to post a bunch of these local and "close-by the P&WV ROW mines" in some future Hi-Line up-date.

JZ.

Last edited by PWVJer on Sun Jul 23, 2006 6: 13 am; edited 1 time in total
ple1556

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 6: 15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not quite sure if this is right but I heard somewhere that the President of the P&WV (Gould?) would ride a train in a private coach and be dropped off at an estate just across the east end of the banning bridge and the coach would be parked on this siding unti he was ready to return. Anybody care to elaborate on this?
Frank

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 6: 21 pm    Post subject: norris tunnel Reply with quote

There was a short set off track just west of the Norris Tunnel. In the P&WV book it says on nice fall days one of the P&WV 4-6-2's and office car would take President Graham I think, and family there for a picnic. If you walk back there you can see where it was, barely. You wouldn't know if you weren't looking.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 9: 02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PWVJer:

I think your information is off a bit regarding Banning.
The "West End" of Banning Siding had CTC signals,
NOT the East End and is most likely where "eastbounds"
recieved their signals to take siding...that is of course
not the case if the Train DIspatcher told a WestBound to
"line himself in" at Banning to meet...
There probably was a EastBound Dwarf at the "East End"
Banning for trains in the siding to depart on signal indication.
PWVJer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 6: 29 am    Post subject: fixed it. Reply with quote

Thanks GP, typo was looking at Hopedale Stuff. BTW. working on the next up-date NKP/PWV. 20 or so images (13 color) &- 7 B&W should fit. The NKP fans will need to be sitting down for this one!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The P&WV Hi-Line Forum Index -> Messages All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: