The The P&WV Hi-Line
P&WV Technical and Historical Interest Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Work On The Bruceton Connection Progresses Jul, 11

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PWVJer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11: 49 am    Post subject: Work On The Bruceton Connection Progresses Jul, 11 Reply with quote

Here are some shots of the progress on the AVR part of the connection. The Wheeling connection is completed, but it looks like they are going to fix the stub as you can see by the marks on the ties up to the rip-rap pile.
From the look of things I would say all of the connection should be complete by next week if work continues at this rate.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9: 29 pm    Post subject: Bruceton Updates Reply with quote

Thanks for all the photos and info.Great site!
Beech Cricker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5: 47 pm    Post subject: Bruceton photos Reply with quote

I've really been enjoying your photos of the Bruceton project's progress--these really show the true nuts and bolts of railroading. I've grown so weary of locomotive roster shots and 3/4 views, especially on mainlines--they're basically a dime a dozen in my book. These Bruceton photos, however, are very refreshing.

Jeff Feldmeier
PWV101
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9: 16 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments.
I really have never seen rail being laid and switches installed. I have vistied Bruceton a number of times during the daylight hours to get working shots and also see exactly the techniques used to install the rail. The WLE laid section rail and AVR is putting down welded rail. I have seen and photographed just about every phase of the install. The AVR, at the sharp curve, have used screws to put down the plates and on the straight areas used spikes. We surmise it is because of the stress of the sharp curve. All in all, I have learned a lot. With all the automated equipment, there is still A LOT of manual labor. The trackmen still swing the spike hammer. A surprise to me.
I am a phographer and like to cover as much as I can and share it with all who visit this site.
TRACKER

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7: 43 am    Post subject: Bruceton Rail Reply with quote

The tie plates that are spiked will secure the rail with more spikes. This is a traditional way to do it, tangent or "straight" track has less tendency to roll over, less lateral forces then in a curve. In the curve the plates are secured with lags (screws). The rail in the curve will be secured to the plate with a spring like device called a "Pandrol Clip", not spikes or lags. These provide constant holding force and flex as the rail moves slightly with train movements. The flexing is esential or the lags would be ripped out of the tie.
Rail anchors will then need installed once the rail is in place. These clip to the rail and extend down to the side of the tie. They are designed to prevent the rail from running and creating sun-kinks in the heat of summer and pull-aparts in the cold of winter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The P&WV Hi-Line Forum Index -> Messages All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: