The The P&WV Hi-Line
P&WV Technical and Historical Interest Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Introduction and my (limited) P&WV explorations

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beech Cricker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 11: 01 am    Post subject: Introduction and my (limited) P&WV explorations Reply with quote

I've been a relative "greenhorn" in terms of all things P&WV but after finding this fantastic website I'm beginning to feel much more comfortable.

My exposure to the P&WV is largely due to my grandparents having lived in Castle Shannon for many years. On a few occasions I walked from their house on Hamilton Road to the ex-P&WV and explored a little from there.

On my first jaunt I walked down Valley Drive to the small railroad bridge over that road near the old mining settlement of Mollenauer (I'll inquire about Molleauer in a future posting) to what I would later learn was/is Longview. I can't exactly remember when I made this trip but it was likely the late 1970s/early 1980s. I see in a past posting here that the Montour bridge over the ex-P&WV was removed in June 1980. I seem to recall it was still in place during this trip though the MTR track was gone. I remember walking up the connecting track from the P&WV main to the Mifflin Branch--there were a number of empty gondolas stored on the sidings leading up to the branch. Is SALIDA where the P&WV and MTR connected in this area? And while I'm at it is LONGVIEW where the Mifflin Branch connector met the main, along with the adjacent side tracks? I kick myself today for not haven taken any photos--I didn't see any train movements--but it would have been nice to capture the area at that point in time.

On a future trip I remember taking the same route--this time I know the MTR bridge was gone. And on my next visit I found the little tunnel that carried Baptist Road under the former MTR grade had been daylighted. Somewhere around this same timeframe a restaurant secured a couple ex-Amtrak coaches for their establishment along the former P&WV just south of the Montour overpass. I think this restaurant couldn't make a go of it at that time. I can't remember if those coaches are still there or not.

I also recall taking a walk with my dad from the Valley Drive bridge north to the large trestle in downtown Castle Shannon. I remember taconite pellets scattered all over the track. I did photograph a few PCC cars on the move from this trestle during a different visit.

Although I don't think I ever saw a train on the former West Belt during our visits to my grandparents (again late 1970s/early 1980s), I did often hear them down in the valley--usually in the evening or sometime after say 11 p.m. My dad recalls from his youth hearing and seeing steam power on this line.

I've been to Rook Yard a few times in our more recent trips to Pittsburgh (which, unfortunately, have become few and far between). We usually stay at the Hampton Inn in Greentree. Unfortunately Mother Nature has a bad habit of cranking up the cloud-making machine when we visit.

I checked my photos and found I have very little of the former P&WV--mostly some early era NS shots at Rook (including that old water tower that had the N&W "ball" heralds) and some W&LE era views. Nothing special, most likely.

Well enough of my ramblings...just wanted to introduce myself and ask what are probably some basic questions.

Jeff Feldmeier
Allen Park, MI

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 12: 30 pm    Post subject: Longview & Salida Reply with quote

Responding to your message, to add a bit of history, about 1994 a extraordinary event occurred there along Valley Drive at the overpass when a WE coal train that was loaded at Duquense Wharf on the Union RR was coming west out of Mifflin. The WE had 5 locomotives on that 125 car coal train including a ex: N&W SD-45 slug set. As the train began passing over Valley Drive, the ball of rail on the low side of the curve broke just "east" of Valley Road overpass and several loaded coal cars derailed with one coming down the hill from the right of way and into Parker Plastics side parking lot. Interestingly, the Sperry Car tested this same rail about a week earlier. About 3 or 4 feet of ball of rail broke as the coal train passed over it no doubt being the cause of the derailment.

Yes, Salida was where the Montour connected with the Mifflin Branch which was nearly directly above Gardenville Road. And Longview was where the Mifflin Branch met the main track. Lots of changes to these areas today.

The restauraunt near Longview today is called Dukes Station. I was there the day the NS spotted the passenger coach and Conrail bay window caboose. Two buldozer "sidewinders" picked both up off the main track and walked them to their waiting foundations. The large fill that brought the Montour over Baptist Road and the P&WV was buldozed filling in the valley on the "east" side of Dukes Station. Dukes Station is built on the former Montour right of way, albeit at a much lower elevation.

I am lucky. I was able to experience Longview and Salida in the mid 1970's when it was still hustling and bustling. Longview Station was still standing and housed a Agent and signal maintainer. The CTC signals were still standing and in operation. Longview Yard was still being used on occasion along with Salida Siding and 1A.

Living just a mile or so from Longview for the past 30 years has afforded me the opportunity to experience a neat little operation. Looking back at 30 years of color and black & white photographs of the area, I am lucky I photographed the constant change of the area.

30 years from now, I wonder what Longview will look like?
PWV101
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 1: 33 pm    Post subject: Nice You Could Join Us Reply with quote

Jeff,
Thanks for visiting Thepwvhiline and becoming one of our group. It's always great to hear from people with past rememberences of the P&WV. We hope you visit often and join in our discussions. There are quite a few people with a lot of knowledge on the Hi-Line. If you have any questions or we can help you out in any way, just lets us know.

Regards,

Jim and Jerry
Beech Cricker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 2: 08 pm    Post subject: Re: Longview & Salida Reply with quote

I wonder what the Sperry people were doing that day (alseep at the switch)?

So I take it that Dukes restaurant is currently active? Do they still have the coaches and caboose?

It never ceases to amaze me how much the railroad scene has changed just in my time (I started watching trains in the mid 1970s and start photographing about 1980). I kick myself today for NOT photographing "common" lineside details like the large signal at Longview during my visits 20 (gasp) years ago.

Jeff Feldmeier
Beech Cricker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 2: 08 pm    Post subject: Re: Nice You Could Join Us Reply with quote

Jim and Jerry,

Thanks for the welcome--I appreciate it.

Jeff Feldmeier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9: 45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember WE Management at the time of the derailment called Sperry on the carpet about the ball of rail breaking shortly after testing.
However, the break appeared to be a new break.
There was no rust.
There was no indications that any weight had traveled over the fissure prior to the seperation.
The ball of the rail on the low side was worn heavily and flattened.
Its thickness was remarkable reduced.

Dukes Station with its former Amtrak Coach and Conrail caboose are still on the property and in service.

The cantilever signal at Longview was one of 6 on the P&WV.
I believe it was retired in 1983 replaced by a 3 position wayside at the same location. Unfortunately I only was able to photograph 5 of cantilevers...

Longview, like just about every other location along the P&WV has changed. And this type of change has no been for the better. 8)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The P&WV Hi-Line Forum Index -> Messages All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: