The The P&WV Hi-Line
P&WV Technical and Historical Interest Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

COMMING ATTRACTIONS...The CTC

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PWVJer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 7: 32 am    Post subject: COMMING ATTRACTIONS...The CTC Reply with quote

We are working on a large amount of images and original documents on the P&WV's CTC (Centralized Traffic Control) system.
Gene Schaeffer has sent us 40 great color slides and 100's of
Originial Co. Letters, Reports, Blueprints and Drawings that will give the Hi-Line fans a look at how this system operated.
Information supplied from the 1930's to 1980's.

The PWV's single track main line was operated like a High Speed relay race, that functioned in an almost
"Ballet Style" moving long and fast trains over a single track line and almost always "ON TIME!).

We will do this update in two(2) sections. The West-end and the East-end. We may do a third wrap-up section.
Also, much of the future Hi-Line News Cover stories will relate with Gene's fine collection.

This will take lots of time and work by JR/JZ, but a real nice image story as seen thru the Lens of GPS will be told.
Yough river pirate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 3: 42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant say enough about this website. The P&WV is my favorite railroad and this is the best place to see photos and hear other P&WV info. The photo of the bridge in the new current era photos is on Van Meter rd. It no longer reads PITTSBURGH & WEST VIRGINIA RAILWAY on it although there are a few other bridges that still do. Thanks and keep up the good work
ple1556

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 9: 09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Yough river pirate"]I cant say enough about this website. The P&WV is my favorite railroad and this is the best place to see photos and hear other P&WV info. The photo of the bridge in the new current era photos is on Van Meter rd. It no longer reads PITTSBURGH & WEST VIRGINIA RAILWAY on it although there are a few other bridges that still do. Thanks and keep up the good work[/quote]

"GHOSTLY IMAGES"

On some of the overpasses, the one over Route 51 in Belle Vernon is a good example, if you look at it just right, you could see "Pittsburgh and West Virgina Railway Co. showing through ever so slightly. I think there is currently a "N&W" logo plate on that particular overpass.
Glenn

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 9: 49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to admit the P&WV has some impressive bridges.Now wondering about those bridges, How old are they getting?
I would have to give the train crews alot of credit, I hate heights and I could not think of crossing the Mingo bridge.Alot of thinking went into the railway.
CuriousGeorge

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8: 57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ming bridge is nothing compared to the bridge crossing the Mon River between Charleroi and Belle Vernon. It towers over the I-70 Bridge it parrallels. Catching some movement over this bridge is quite a sight to behold.
Longview Station

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1: 13 pm    Post subject: CTC - Traffic Control Machine Reply with quote

Does anyone know for sure if the Traffic Control Machine for the CTC System once located at Rook still survives at the Smithsonian Institute? I was told many years ago the CTC Control Machine from the Rook Train Dispatchers Office was dontated when traffic control operations were relocated to Brewster.

If it still exists, wonder if the Smithsonian would donate it to the AD White Group?
GPS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The P&WV Hi-Line Forum Index -> Messages All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: