The The P&WV Hi-Line
P&WV Technical and Historical Interest Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More Summer Up-Dates

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PWVJer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 12: 21 pm    Post subject: More Summer Up-Dates Reply with quote

Well, the two new Hi-Line News Letters are up, May & June 54'.
We are working on some Historical Pics and these should be up by late this week-end.
"The Other Big Baldwin", 15 or so images of #40.
This Baldwin AS616 will be seen working the Clairton Local at Castle Shannon, Fairhaven, Oak, and Altoona Pa. (on the PRR).
Pics will have dates from July/Aug 1951 to the Fall of 1960. Most are from the D.M. collection. Some very rare images for P&WV fans .

We think you will enjoy seeing this Big Baldwin Road Switcher in Action.
JR/JZ.
MACADO

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 12: 11 am    Post subject: NBR. 40 Reply with quote

I really enjoyed the pictures of the Baldwin #40. Thank you.
Longview Station

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9: 52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jer;
When I read of the problems experienced with P&WV 40, I often scratch my head. I often wonder, why would Management restrict a problematic locomotive to territory that causes the most problems. P&WV 40 was assigned to the Connellsville Division. Departing Rook, just as soon as you exit Greentree Tunnel its curve after curve. Down through Kelly, up through West Liberty, Oak, Fairhaven. Coming up to Longview, down through Horning and Bruceton, Stilley and Pierce. Curve after curve. And when you add the Clairton Branch, I never understood why the P&WV restricted the 40 to the terrain where it had most problems.

Seeing those 6 axles tended to derail on curves, why not then use it on the Pittsburgh Division? Gentle curves, lots of tangents?

My only opinion of the 40, it must of had something to do with the offcenter axle spacing on its trucks causing it to derail. For many years the N&W used 6 axles on all of their trains. Mifflin and Clairton Branchs, West End and Donora Branchs were 6 axle territory, excepting those heavy duty N&W SD-45's that weighed in at 410,000 pounds.

Occasionally the 6 axles derailed, but tie condition was more likely the culprit as 4 axles left the rail also on occasion. Even today, 6 axles are regularily used on the branches. Not long ago, those 100 car coke trains had their empty's delivered to Clairton, then after loading the loads went to Mifflin where 6 axle power was waiting.

It wasn't long ago, that a 6 axle B&LE Tunnel Motor roamed the Connellsville Division visiting both Clairton and Mifflin. And was it last summer a couple of newer Union Pacific GE 6 axles dead headed into Mifflin for another coke train?

I'm sure the problems with P&WV 40 stemmed from that off center axle spacing and perhaps those Commonwealth trucks.
VW
PWVJer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 5: 03 pm    Post subject: #40 issues Reply with quote

I would agree with you Gene. Poor 6 wheel truck design and other issues doomed these engines.
Many railroads who had them, traded them in or scrapped them by the late 60's.
Not built for speed and a somewhat rough ride for the crews.

But ol'e P&WV Hats would say; "but man... could that thing pull!"
#40 could drag 30-40 loads out of Clairton and up to Pierce and never miss-a-beat.
Maybe this was one reason for Clariton Local Assignment??

BTW, the next few Hi-Lines, Sept. Oct. 54' will have some really interesting CTC info.
So if you could start to gather-up some stuff for Part I, and get them over to PWV101, we can begin to layout the update.

We have some more stuff from both Howard and Bill we would like to fit in for the Fall-Bash as well.

JZ.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The P&WV Hi-Line Forum Index -> Messages All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: