The The P&WV Hi-Line
P&WV Technical and Historical Interest Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Avella Map

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PWVJer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7: 05 pm    Post subject: Avella Map Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay, but here's the map!

Some of these sidings and spurs
were taken out of service at different time spans in the P&WV Era.
I would guess that this was the way it looked in about the 1940's,
although many of these mines may have been played out, (closed) much of the ROW and some of the rails may have still existed in this WWII time frame.

There was no scale size and some parts are compressed, but the map does give a good general view of the "Black Diamond" area at and near Avella Pa.
We have in our collection and The Avella Community Centers collection almost all the mine structure images.
This we may do this in a future Hi-Line update.
For those who live in the PGH.Pa. area, and would like to visit Avella, these pics are all on display at the Center.
Enjoy!
JR/JZ.
Longview Station

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6: 42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jer;
Detailed maps of Avella are nice.
I remember a time in the late 1980's, I walked the former wye at Avella back to Pittsburgh Terminal #9 and found the tipple still standing. I was rewarded in finding 2 Union RR hoppers making up the tipple.
Also of note, Waverly spur was still being used in the 1970's.
I have some recordings of the N&W Rook Train Dispatcher giving motor car line-ups using Waverly Spur. I'm guessing Waverly was a location where motorcars could clear up for the Alpha-Jets.
And last, Mile Post 86 should be a little further East as its location is above the "No. 8" and nearer the East Side of State Line.
VW
tomw

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 11: 29 am    Post subject: Mine Maps Reply with quote

Thank you for the maps. You are filling in the holes in information that I need. Now I have to redo all the waybills to reflect the correct name of the mines I have on the RR. Any idea as which mines where operating in the early 60'S.?
Thanks again.
TomW
PWVJer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 2: 52 pm    Post subject: 1960's mines Reply with quote

The information I have indicates by 1960's all the mines in the Avella area were closed.
There may have been some sporadic strip/surface loading. A truck dump,
but I think this would be only a few car loadings at best. All deep and shaft mines were closed.
Even the Acme Prep Plant operated only a few days per-week, and only "as needed" basis. This coal was
brought in from the Eastern Ohio mines.
My N&W annual report 1966/67, and 1968 track chart and 1965 TT are on loan, so I don't have much info at hand.

Maybe GPS or Bill P. can help us out and add more answers to your question.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The P&WV Hi-Line Forum Index -> Messages All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: