The The P&WV Hi-Line
P&WV Technical and Historical Interest Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bell Branch Mines

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomw

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11: 33 am    Post subject: Bell Branch Mines Reply with quote

I am going to build a mine on my P&WV's Bell Branch. Does any know if it was a truck dump, shaft or drift type mine, Was the tipple metal ,wood ? Any information would be great, Thanks in advance,
Tom Wilson
camp car bill

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8: 22 pm    Post subject: Bell Branch Reply with quote

Tom Wilson

Iworked on Bell Branch once during my rr career.That was in 1953 when the Bridge Gang repaired a wooden trestle,which was later repaced by large drainage pipe.
In 1953 you could reach the mine by going west on Elderville Rd.out of Burgettstown PA and turning left onCedar Grove Rd.just as you make the turn,turn right. Down the hill was the mine.Which I think was located in PA.
The switch to Bell Branch was located about 1/2 mile west of State Line Tunnel in WV.
Orginateing coal traffic just about came to a end in early 1960 on the PWV.
That about all I know about Bell Branch

Camp Car Bill
PWVJer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4: 30 am    Post subject: Bell branch & Mine Reply with quote

Tom, I have a very good map & layout of the Mine & ROW. This will also show the Tipple & team tracks as well.
This is a real crazy and busy week for me...I will try and post later this week-end.
This map will show everything from MP 81 to MP 87 in great detail. Also info on the
Bell Branch... Penowa Coal Co."Sasso" #1 Mine(P&WV) and the Studa Branch "WPT".
You scale model folks are really going to enjoy this one!

JZ.
tomw

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 7: 11 am    Post subject: Bell Branch Reply with quote

I can't wait !!! I am almost finished with the Avella Station. I will post pictures when it is finished.
Thanks
Tom Wilson
PWVJer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 2: 16 pm    Post subject: Bell Banch Info. Reply with quote

Tom & Others interested,
We were in Avella Pa. for Bill's Talk & Slide presentation for the A.D. White Group and Avella residents this past Sat. afternoon.
It was very well attended and enjoyed by all!
While at the lunch we met several family members who lived and owned homes in (Virgin'ville)
this was what the locals called it before the Railroad (WPT) changed it to "Virginia". This location is were the Bell Branch connected to the Main Line.(MP 86)
Well, several houses were located at this point very near the Bell Branch and Mainline ROW.
To our suprise, they do indeed have some snap shots of Railroad activity in the Late 1940's/very earily 50's.
They showed us a photo-stat copy of 4 pics of the ROW, the short bridge on the main(with a Heavy Mike in full view)
and the grade crossing on the branch, very near the mainline.
These folks say they will try and find these originals as well as a few others and let us post the on the Hi-Line.
They seem to know quite a bit about this Branch Line and the Penowa Coal Co.
We will need more time to work on this....
I will need to get over to JR's, his scanner will do a great job on the Map.

We will try again get the map up next week.
JZ.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The P&WV Hi-Line Forum Index -> Messages All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: