The The P&WV Hi-Line
P&WV Technical and Historical Interest Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

P&WV modeling

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave Stanton

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1: 27 pm    Post subject: P&WV modeling Reply with quote

This is a great site for fans of the P&WV. I am modeling the P&WV in HO scale 25 X 21" double deck, starting in Castle Shannon (where I grew up) to Connelsville. I have two questions. How did the P&WV operate to Coverdale and can anyone provide the track araingments for Bowest yard?

Thanks,

Dave
bowestym

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 10: 23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a Bowest track map in my article about Alphabet Route operations in the Summer&Fall issue of the WM Railway Historical Soc magazine "The Blue Mountain Express."

There are 1938 aerial photos that include Bowest on the Penn Pilot web site at.
http://www.pennpilot.psu.edu/
On the PA index map select Fayette county. On the Fayette county index map select Dunbar. The file name of the best photo is fayette_062639_apv_110_85.jpg. Bowest is at the lower right.

- Larry Kline
PWV101
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 7: 00 am    Post subject: Map Of Bowest Reply with quote

Here is a map of Bowest sent in by Larry Kline.

bowestym

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 1: 11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the Bowest track map. - Larry Kline
Dave Stanton

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12: 02 pm    Post subject: Bowest yard Reply with quote

Thank you so much for the map and information. Thank goodness I have not started on this area yet on the layout. It would have been wrong.

Dave
aj-1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2: 53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great maps! I'm in the early stages of an Alphabet Route layout where I'm combining track plans from different locations on the NKP, P&WV and WM. Bowest is now a must. The maps help the pictures make better sense. Does anyone have maps of Monessen?
This is my first posting although I have been looking at this site off and on for several months.My Uncle Robert Worked on the WM and often said "the P&WV runs a tight ship" amoung other positive things. I think he was dissapointed that the WM-P&WV-NKP didn't merge instead of the way it played out.God rest there souls and Uncle Roberts'. Sorry, I digress.
Every six months or so I'll make postings or inquierys to Atlas and Bachmann as to producing P&WV locomotives.I encourege others to do the same and maybe someday P&WV 20-44s.
Thanks guys - great website - keep up the good work!
Wade Monn
MACADO

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11: 33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, Mike's Train House is the only one that models the P&WV. They produce 3 different engines and several pieces of rolling stock. This is all in "O" gauge.
tcwright973

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11: 56 pm    Post subject: Modeling the P&WV Reply with quote

In HO, I have a 2-8-2 Heavy Mikado made by Broadway-Limited. In rolling stock, I have a 70 Ton 2 Bay Hopper and a 55 Ton U Channel Hopper. I could be wrong, but I think Branchline makes a boxcar in their Blueprint Series. There might be others, but that's all I've found so far.
Tom
thirteen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 12: 36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other things are/have been available. A number of years ago, Life-Like Proto made a Northeastern style caboose lettered for the P&WV; they can still be found at shows on occasion. Atlas has released at leased two road numbers for a 55 ton, offset side hopper. Accurail makes a USRA 55 ton hopper lettered for the P&WV and they offer a decal set to change the road number. As I understand it, it is a decently accurate model. Athearn also has released an offset side 55 ton hopper. An ebay hobby shop, Bessemer Hobbies, has occasionally done special runs of the Stewart/Bowser 55-ton U-channel hopper and also made a custom run of VO1000 #30. I think he still has a couple of the locomotives. Both Bowser and Kadee have released 70 ton covered hoppers (different prototypes). Kadee is apparently considering a black PS boxcar. You are correct about Branchline. One other model we could clamor for is for Bowser to letter their AS616 for P&WV. If enough requests came through, the owner of Bessemer Hobbies also might consider the AS616 as a custom job, given the past creation of the VO. I don’t know if the details would be correct, but I would be satisfied with accurate paint and lettering. Finally, in the brass realm, Division Point is planning to do the USRA heavy Mikados, they list P&WV #1052, and say that pre-orders will determine the the railroads they produce. Further down the line, they are also planning H20-44s, H-15-44s, and H16-44s, though I didn’t see road names listed. That's all that I know of... Thank you to the webmasters and other users here for the info I've gleaned here and I hope this adds a little information to the pot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The P&WV Hi-Line Forum Index -> Messages All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: