The The P&WV Hi-Line
P&WV Technical and Historical Interest Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bridges

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fanatic5

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 8: 51 am    Post subject: Bridges Reply with quote

This topic may have been discussed previously, however, I would like to know how many bridges the P&WV constructed? I was passing through the community of Jacobs Creek (PA) this past summer and was amazed at the size of the bridge over the Youghiogheny River and the CSX (former B&O) mainline. I have seen the bridge in Connellsville, plus a few other locations around Pittsburgh. Is there any other railroad that had more bridges per mile of railroad, than the P&WV?
PWV101
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9: 34 am    Post subject: Number of Bridges Reply with quote

On the P&WV History page it states this. "There were about 171 bridges of more than ten feet in length and 21 tunnels. Of these, 151 bridges and 18 tunnels were on the mainline."

JR/JZ Webmasters
Fanatic5

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 9: 22 am    Post subject: Longest Bridge Reply with quote

Where was the longest bridge/viaduct located? Was it the Monongahela River bridge at Speer (2600 ft.)? Where did the bridge at Banning list? Were there ever any accidents on these bridges?
Fla. Mike

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 1: 43 am    Post subject: 21 Tunnels Reply with quote

OK of the 21 tunnels 18 were mainline so three were on branchlines. I would assume two of those branchline tunnels were on the Donora Southern, but where was the third branchline tunnel? Oh wait, this always happens, the third one just popped into me head, it is on the Clairton Branch!
PWV101
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 9: 15 am    Post subject: Longest Bridge Reply with quote

It just so happens that this month's HiLine talks about the bridges you mention. On our home page is an index of the April 1953 HiLine Newsletter.
Just click on it. It has just what you are looking for.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The P&WV Hi-Line Forum Index -> Messages All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: