The The P&WV Hi-Line
P&WV Technical and Historical Interest Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

H20-44 Artwork Complete

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jayrod

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 11: 39 am    Post subject: H20-44 Artwork Complete Reply with quote

After much fiddling and finessing, the master decal artwork for the H20-44's is about as complete as I can get it at this time without a model to test it out on. The artwork was derived from the P&WV paint and lettering diagram for units 66 through 71. The use of the drawing is courtesy of the Norfolk & Western Historical Society.

To view a high resolution sample, click here: http://www.bigeprod.com/images/projects/PWV/66-71.pdf. The sample isn't a complete set, nor is it to any particular scale, but the components are to scale with each other except the builder's plate which is a bit too large.

The striping would be available with or without the chrome yellow band, depending on how you want to mask & paint. I could also make a masking stencil if that would be helpful. However you do it, it'll be a fiddly bit of masking. Now, all we need is a model to test it on.

Questions and comments welcome.
Rich_S

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 7: 07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric,
Your Artwork looks fantastic. Tell me about masking the chrome yellow band in N scale for the H16-44's :)

How difficult would it be for you to create another master decal artwork template for the H16-44's?

I do not have an immediate need, as the Bachmann H16-44's in N scale are getting harder to find on the bay.
jayrod

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 7: 08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

H16-44's are at the top the hit list. I need to find scale drawings to lay out the curves. BTW, I just finished the ACF and PS-1 40' boxcars in three versions. I'll be posting samples soon.

Making templates for masking would not be difficult. I've done 1:1 scale self-adhesive masks that are set up the same as cut vinyl. I need to do a little research on masking material suitable for models. That would make the job much easier whether it turns out that you stick on the template and burnish the edges or use it as a guide and tape up to it.

Since water slide decals are not completely opaque, placing color decals over black would darken the decal color a tad. I may be able to compensate for that in the decal color, making masking a moot point. However, there is no black component in the chrome yellow, and the red has only 1% black in it so it may boil down to trial and error on adjusting the colors. Printing on white decal paper would make cutting them out a nightmare. Color shift is less of a problem with rub-on lettering but they're only suitable for large scales. So, I have a bit of research to do.
jayrod

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 7: 55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the same subject.... Has anyone used Artool Ultra Mask or Stretch Mask films or a spray-able liquid mask? If so, how did it work for you?
PWVJer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 8: 10 am    Post subject: Graphics Work Reply with quote

Yes, Very Nice indeed!
Now, the real difficult part, find those illusive FM H-20-44 original ( Line-Drawings )
for/from the FM erection sheet(s). CAD them to scale, 3-D printing of the shell sections,
snap-attach the pieces to existing drive frames and .....

JZ/JR.
jayrod

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 11: 04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easier said than done. 90% of the time it takes just to do artwork is research - photos, drawings, etc. The folks at the AC&Y HS and the FM Yahoo group have been looking for drawings for quite a while...
Blane

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6: 47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this might be a costly idea (and thus possibly infeasible), but what about doing a 3-D Laser Scan of one of the three remaining prototype engines and then using that scan to create the appropriate CAD drawings? I know the three remaining prototype engines all have modified air intakes (as was done by SWPC) but I'm assuming this could be modified in CAD drawings to recreate the original air intakes as seen on as-delivered prototype units. I know there were at least two different production phases as well as different lighting options and handrail mounting options, but I'm hoping these could be done in the CAD drawings to produce appropriate variations as per prototype owner and era of operation. I know Rapido Trains in Canada did a laser-scanned model of a Canadian-built unit (MLW FPA-4), which was based off a preserved model at a Canadian railway museum, and the finished product turned out very well.

I wish that I was more technically-inclined than I currently am so that I could help make this dream into reality, but alas I have no real knowledge of CAD to know if my idea is even possible or not. Hopefully someone with more knowledge of such technology would be able to determine such a thing.
jayrod

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9: 08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could draw it in 3D CAD if you first took enough detailed dimensions to fill a boxcar and had a couple months of Sundays to do it. That said, I don't think anyone will tackle that project without getting either paid or at least a return on their investment. I never completed the leap into 3D so that gets me of the hook.

I would think that a properly mapped, multi-pass 3D laser scan would be the best and quickest way to get it done. Then you could make edits/changes/corrections in CAD.

My two cents (but still not worth a penny).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The P&WV Hi-Line Forum Index -> Messages All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: