The The P&WV Hi-Line
P&WV Technical and Historical Interest Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

P&WV Stations

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rich_S

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 5: 45 pm    Post subject: P&WV Stations Reply with quote

Hello Group,
looking at the photos of the different stations used on the P&WV, it appears Avella, Hickory, Hopedale and Mingo stations were all built from a similar design? How many different station designs did the P&WV have? Other than the stations I listed, what other stations had twins?

Second question: I was told many years ago that there was a very small passenger shelter near or under the bridge that crosses over the P&WV near the East end of Gladden siding, was this correct or just somebody's faded memory?
jayrod

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11: 02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the few station photos out and about, it does appear that quite a few stations shared very similar design features. There may have been a standard "style" so to speak when a lot of them were initially built but they may not be dimensionally identical due to the needs and size of the local communities. Did the stations have a standard color scheme?
Longview Station

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 11: 49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to take into consideration when the P&WV was built, the first 60 miles from Pittsburgh Junction to Pittsburgh were Wabash-Pittsburgh Terminal heritage. The P&WV then absorbed the West Side Belt with Longview and Clairton Stations but added Sudan and Monessen Stations giving them 4 identical designed stations. Bruceton, West Liberty Bridgeville, Venice, Rook and Penowa can be added into the mix.

Many years ago Ed McDonald and myself measured all the remaining stations and sought out the foundations for others. Ed also determined einsel brick covered some of the stations and if you carefully looked, you could see some of the original colors and signage for the remaining stations. Give the folks at the A.D. White Society a tip of the hat for restoring Avella.

Anyone care to organize a smalll group of people to approach the W&LE about doing some cosmetic restoration to Bruceton ? I noted a small hole in the front roof that should be repaired and it needs a through cleaning and painting before it becomes a eyesore and is torn down.
PWVJer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4: 27 pm    Post subject: Station restoration work Reply with quote

Count JR/JZ & the Hi-Line Staff in for some paint'n & calking!
Heck, with the WE folks roll'n in $$$, they might,
chip-in for all the materials!
What a great home "Bruceton Station" would make for all the P&WV
Archive Material(s) & private collected historical stuff!
Maybe, hee-hee, you could float some thoughts & Ideas
to the Brewester folks. The Timing may now be right!
camp car bill

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12: 48 pm    Post subject: Re: Station restoration work Reply with quote

[quote="PWVJer"]Count JR/JZ & the Hi-Line Staff in for some paint'n & calking!
Heck, with the WE folks roll'n in $$$, they might,
chip-in for all the materials!
What a great home "Bruceton Station" would make for all the P&WV
Archive Material(s) & private collected historical stuff!
Maybe, hee-hee, you could float some thoughts & Ideas
to the Brewester folks. The Timing may now be right![/quote]
Quote:

Longview Station,
In reference to the hole you found in Bruceton Station . The roof was put on between 1975 and 1980 by Rook Carpenter Gang. The only two left fron from the gang are George Whitaker and myself.
Camp Car Billl.
PWVJer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3: 03 pm    Post subject: ...High Climers Reply with quote

Hey Bill,
Think we can still count on you
for any "High-Work"?
I'll bet Station Roofs were a Day-at -beach compared
to hang'n over the Wiskey-Run bridge or
the Mingo span jobs.
JZ.
camp car bill

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5: 31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JZ,

Walking on high stuff is still OK but climbing is out.I will be 80 in November.

CCB
Rich_S

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8: 10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You have to take into consideration when the P&WV was built, the first 60 miles from Pittsburgh Junction to Pittsburgh were Wabash-Pittsburgh Terminal heritage. The P&WV then absorbed the West Side Belt with Longview and Clairton Stations but added Sudan and Monessen Stations giving them 4 identical designed stations. Bruceton, West Liberty Bridgeville, Venice, Rook and Penowa can be added into the mix.

Many years ago Ed McDonald and myself measured all the remaining stations and sought out the foundations for others. Ed also determined einsel brick covered some of the stations and if you carefully looked, you could see some of the original colors and signage for the remaining stations. Give the folks at the A.D. White Society a tip of the hat for restoring Avella.

Gene, Yes, I was kind of wondering if Gould had a standard design station when the railroad was originally built between Pittsburgh Jct. and Rook? Then if the P&WV adopted a standard design of their own for all stations built along the Connellsville extension? So I guess in a nutshell you could say they had three standard designs, original WPT stations, original WSB stations and Conneellsville extension stations? With the station being modified to fit it's location?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The P&WV Hi-Line Forum Index -> Messages All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: