The The P&WV Hi-Line
P&WV Technical and Historical Interest Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OT - Train ride tickets available

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jayrod

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8: 57 am    Post subject: OT - Train ride tickets available Reply with quote

Tickets for the ORHS Orrville Autumn Express on October 12 and Riding with Santa excursions on November 30 and December 7 are now available if anyone wants to take a nice train ride.
More info available here: http://www.orrvillerailroad.com/schedule.html
Rich_S

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8: 32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jayrod, any chance of the ORHS ever running another Pittsburgh or Monessen Flyer excursion?

On a side note, I received my pre-order Atlas "N" scale P&WV 2 bay hoppers. To my eye they look pretty good. I'll post some photo's when I get a chance.
jayrod

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 7: 36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be a long shot for now. Part of the problem is that from Bowerston to Jewett, the Wheeling pulled out their track years ago and now runs on adjacent G&W trackage rights. G&W basically says no to passenger trains (unaffordable insurance requirements). On the flip side, we do have an interchange with NS but it hasn't been used in many years. We haven't approached NS and would have to rebuild the interchange track ($$$$$). Is it at all possible? Yes. Can it happen soon? Not likely. If it does, you'll hear the "Woohoo!" in Baden all the way from here in Akron. Believe me, running to Pittsburgh always sold out even after leasing additional cars so we would love to start doing it again.
Rich_S

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5: 27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jayrod, I knew the Wheeling had trackage rights on the old Panhandle between Bowerston and Jewett, but I didn't know the G&W would have to carry passenger insurance on that section of track. I was thinking that since the Wheeling had trackage rights, any insurance the Wheeling carried would cover that section. I guess that is the downside of Jerry Jacobson selling the OC to the G&W.

On a side note I have "The Panhandle Volume Two" DVD from Clear Block Productions and there are a few scenes taken between Bowerston and Jewett that still show the original Wheeling line in use and the Panhandle was still double tracked.
jayrod

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 12: 46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can have them moved empty over the G&W within a WLE train as freight, but as soon as you put people in them, it's a different story.
jayrod

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 12: 53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to add... It's up to car owner to meet the host roads insurance requirements as long as the equipment is on their property for a passenger run. It's how most freight roads restrict access to passenger excursions. However, if you can meet their requirements, they'd be OK with maybe opening the door to you...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The P&WV Hi-Line Forum Index -> Messages All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: