The The P&WV Hi-Line
P&WV Technical and Historical Interest Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Pittsburgh Press - Apr 5, 1931_Connellsville Extension

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rchgck

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 10: 32 pm    Post subject: The Pittsburgh Press - Apr 5, 1931_Connellsville Extension Reply with quote

Interesting read on the building of the Connellsville extension.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=YlcbAAAAIBAJ&sjid=SUsEAAAAIBAJ&pg=2558,3702649&dq=gastonville+railroad&hl=en
Longview Station

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 6: 04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich;

The Author, Dr. Hoon spent alot of time visiting the cosntruction areas of the Connellsville Extension. Dr. Hoon also had a Speed Graphic camera and reportedly made hundreds of photographs of the construction. In the P&WV records we obtained from Rook decades ago, there was a small bundle of Pittsburgh Press newspapers all wrapped in brown paper. The newspapers were several copies of the article Dr. Hoon did of the cosntruction. I contacted a family member of Dr. Hoon back in the late 90's regarding the Speed Graphic camera and the negatives. Much to this family members surprise, he knew little of Dr. Hoon's interest in photography and even less regarding the possibility of the negatives still existing many decades later. IIRC, Dr. Hoon resided in Monongahela, Pa. and I had hoped & prayed the negatives still existed as it was rumored, Dr. Hoon took hundreds ofconstruction photos of all phases of the construction of those 40 miles. Sadly, it is believed the negatives might of been destroyed after Dr. Hoon's death...But I still hope someone in Dr. Hoon's family may of sensed some importance and tucked them away for safe keeping...I can only hope...G.P.S.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The P&WV Hi-Line Forum Index -> Messages All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: