The The P&WV Hi-Line
P&WV Technical and Historical Interest Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Graphics Project Status

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jayrod

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7: 51 pm    Post subject: Graphics Project Status Reply with quote

The definitive P&WV digital graphics project is starting to pick up steam. First out on the main are the lacquer decals and stencil used on the FMs and cabs (see below). Still in the yard are all the other logo variations such as early NE cabs, steam, stationary and as appeared on various rolling stock as well as slogans, data stencils, numbers, different styles of lettering... the list goes on and on. Everything is being drawn 1:1 scale for easy conversion or for use on full sized equipment ;-). Eventually, when all the large graphics are done, we should be able to produce acurate images in any scale for almost anything PWV for all the modelers and manufacturers out there or if you want to print a poster and hang it on your wall.

[Edit] High resolution sample JPGs are in the photo gallery under jayrod and "Lacquer Decal FM and Cab" album. See the third message below[Edit].

[Edit] The hi-res TIFs are no longer available through my website. Contact JR/JZ if you are interested in them.[Edit]

Hopefully, I'll embed these correctly. So here are the first three for review and comment. Enjoy:

Red Lacquer Decal:

Red Stencil:

Yellow Lacquer Decal:

Comments and criticisms will be greatly appreciated. We're going for accuracy.

jayrod

Last edited by jayrod on Fri Dec 30, 2011 6: 18 pm; edited 2 times in total
Rich_S

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 8: 03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jayrod,
A update on the paint mix formula. I have not forgotten, but unfortunately I'm still waiting for the hobby shop to receive an order of UP Armour Yellow. I tried three different hobby shops and none of them had UP Armour Yellow in stock. So for the moment I'm still on hold.

Regards,
Rich S.
jayrod

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6: 04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Rich -

No big rush. Wouldn't ya know, as soon as I'm up to my elbows in this I get slammed with other work. Must be a karma thing. But do let us know how the mix turns out and I'll add it to the upcoming color standards sheet if it's a good match.

Thanks for being the proverbial guinea pig. :wink:

jayrod
jayrod

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 9: 06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated file locations - the high resolution sample JPGs are now located in the HI-Line user photo gallery under jayrod. The gallery name is "Lacquer Decal FM and Cab". The other jayrod gallery is the older artwork which will all be replaced with new high-resolution images that are much more accurate.

jayrod
PWVJer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 9: 50 am    Post subject: N-I-C-E !!! Reply with quote

Very Nice!
I sure hope the P&WV Hi-Line fans understand and appriciate the
amount of work/expertise involved in this type of massive graphics project.

Again, when completed, these will provide P&WV fans with
lettering & graphics guide(s) that will be "THE" bench-mark
to follow...in ALL scale models & general P&WV graphic projects.

****BTW, folks you can now USE the Hi-Line Photo Pages,
all posting and some viewing issues have been corrected & fixed by JR!******

Historical correct, complete-detailed and all inclusive,
YOU-DA-MAN...Jayrod!

JR/JZ.
Rich_S

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11: 00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jayrod,
The shipment finally arrived. Here is the first results from the paint formula:

In the center is your Printer color match. On the right is UP Armor Yellow and on the left is Reefer Yellow. On the bottom is the first mix.

I'm not an artist so when it comes to color I don't know where to go from here, but to me the paint mix looks too orange? Your Pana-Tone Chrome Yellow looks more tan? Should I add another part UP Armor Yellow or should I add another part Reefer white?

Rich S.
jayrod

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1: 18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... All things are subjective - lots of variables i.e. your printer color accuracy, the posted photo color balance, my monitor, etc. It looks a shade too dark in the photo to me as compared to the "standard". If it looks too "dark" to you, try another drop of reefer white. That would also lessen the "orangishness" a bit which comes from the reefer yellow. The diffinitive answer would be to compare your mix to a Pantone 123 C sample at a print shop that does offset (spot color) printing. The 123 C chip is just about dead-on. The Pantone chips are the only true standards we have at this time. As I understand it, PWV used DuPont Duco and PPG colors, formula numbers undetermined at this time. So keep in mind that the prototype color is going to vary from batch to batch, too.

When we release the new color standard sheet, it will be high resolution for greater color accuracy and you'll get the best reproduction on photo grade paper at a high resolution.
jayrod

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9: 25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Rich -

Any success with the color matching yet? Contact me via email and I'll send you a hi-res draft pdf of the chrome yellow standard if you need it.

jayrod
Rich_S

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 9: 19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jayrod,
Been pretty busy with Thanksgiving and work schedule, but I finally settled on:
10 Parts Reefer Yellow
2 Parts Reefer White
1 Part UP Armour Yellow

Here are a few work in progress shots. Remember this is "N" scale and I still have some touch up work to do before I start applying decals.

Regards,
Rich S.
jayrod

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 7: 04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich -

I'd say the color looks pretty darn good. One thing to remember is that our layouts aren't lit as bright as the real thing in daylight so most matched colors may look too dark indoors - especially N scale where all the detail is tiny and easily hidden in shadows. Also, the older red pigments oxidized faster with ultraviolet light (yup, there's red in that yellow) so the colors would gradually lighten with age. Cool project. Upload some photos when you're done.

I have a couple Kato N scale mikes and Life-Like NE cabs that will eventually receive the late steam era PWV treatment. Color match on the steamers would be easier as there's less of it and was usually covered by coal dust and road dirt so who's gonna nitpick. I think JZ has almost convinced me to do the same to my G scale Aristocraft mike. It'll require some extensive modifications first. Add a USA NE cab, and off we go...

So now you know that there's a tad bit of a selfish reason to the graphics project.

jayrod
Rich_S

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1: 59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jayrod,
Here is the finished product. The only thing missing is the Nathan 5 chime horn. I think BLMA has one that is pretty close in "N" scale, it is on my to do list.

I have to admit this is one of the harder paint schemes I've done in “N” scale, because of the compound curves on both the front and rear of the locomotive. It also doesn't help that I'm getting more far sighted the older I get :(

Regards,
Rich S.
jayrod

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 8: 00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it. I hear you on the compound curves. When we get into the decal sets phase, the stripping and possibly a masking template are gonna be tough to draw accurately since there's nothing in the real world on which to to stick a tape measure and I'm not aware of any shop drawings still in existence. I don't envy you diesel guys. Especially in N scale.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The P&WV Hi-Line Forum Index -> Messages All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: