The The P&WV Hi-Line
P&WV Technical and Historical Interest Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

West End

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomw

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 5: 11 pm    Post subject: West End Reply with quote

I was in Pittsburgh for a quick weekend and when going by the West End I saw the sign for Rennenkamp Lumber. Was that ever serviced by rail. I looked on Google earth and I could not tell?
Thanks in advance.
Tom Wilson
Longview Station

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12: 08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes indeed Tom, Rennekamp was servied by P&WV rail.
In one of the box's I just dontated to JR/JZ should be a file about a landslide or such happening there.
Actually 2 Octobers ago, I made a sparkling color photo of the rail in Rennekamp with gigantic trees growing out of them
Rail service was discontinued sometime in the early 80's I would guess.
Alot of revenue was lost to the trucks since then, and alot more hence since the branch is also ka-put.

VW
PWVJer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 6: 47 am    Post subject: West-End Branch Reply with quote

Yes sir, Gene is indeed correct!
The Rennakamp Lumber & Supply Report
with Images(Circa1957) has been on our short list for a Hi-Line Historic up-date.

The P&WV Archives include vast amounts of information material(s),
just in a very quick look-thru of a few box's, we found lots of detaied WSB/P&WV info
on this branch. ROW, Customers, Railroad Operations, MOW, Bridges, Maps & Drawings in this Archive Collection that covers 1902-1964.

At present, the Archives are not in any easy searchable order. The 40 or so cases that Gene has sent over will require a great deal of time to catalog.
... with 4 or 5 interested Hi-Line members, working a few days each month, we estimate it will take at least 5 years or so to complete this project.
This does not include JR's time to set-up, adjust & scan, and place in PDF files.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The P&WV Hi-Line Forum Index -> Messages All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: