The The P&WV Hi-Line
P&WV Technical and Historical Interest Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First Documents From Gene Schaeffer Scanned and Available

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PWV101
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11: 48 am    Post subject: First Documents From Gene Schaeffer Scanned and Available Reply with quote

After seeing the boxes and boxes of documents Gene gave us I knew that it was going to be quite a task to get these documents in digital form and put up on the Hi-Line for all to see. The Hi-Line purchasing and finance committee (that would be me) decided we needed a document scanner that would be fast and good enough to do justice to the documents. After some research I settled on a Kodak document scanner and purchased same. It will scan about 40 or more pages per minute and handles even the tissue paper docs with nice speed and quality. Jerry and I decided to put up a batch of Work Train orders and reports for the first installment. Going through them, for us, was interesting and informative and fun. So.... that's what I did. They are in PDF format so viewing and printing will be easy and quick for everyone. I broke them down into months so the files would be manageable on the web. We hope everyone enjoys exploring these day to day records on the operation of the P&WV.

Jim & Jerry
PWVJer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 1: 59 pm    Post subject: The Archives Collection Reply with quote

Well, the Giant Archive Collection task has been given the HIGH-GREEN! The 430 or so pages of the original
"Work Train Reports" is now on the Hi-Line for all to read & enjoy!
To better understand the size & scope of this Historic P&WV Collection here is a simple metaphor:

Think of the entire collection as... a train trip, and when you finish reading and looking over this 1st. small,
"1952 Work Train" information/up-date, you will have completed only 30 seconds of a 24 hr. journey.

Good thing we have a paid computer information planning wizard on the Hi-Line staff!
BTW, if it were not for W.N.P. and VW, all of this Historic R.R. information would have been lost forever!
JR's Statement of the Day...
"Our server/host will rue-the-day they said: Don't worry Hi-Line web-masters, we have a very large and un-limited FREE storage space!"
camp car bill

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 9: 24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PWV JER

There is a lot of information in these 1952 "WORK TRAIN REPORTS ".It shows where I worked during the year. It seems Supervisor Dantry always refers to the Bridge Gang Camp Train as McWreaths Camp Train,never once mentioning the Bridge Gang.I remember most of the names in these reports except for a couple of the Conductors.It seems steam was still the way to power the work train during 1952.The Bridge Gang was cut out on the Clariton Branch just east of the bridge that was in the news lately,durning part of 1952.We were there to assit the the America Bridge Company who were there to reinforce the Peters Creek Bridge.Its also worth noteing Dantry always gave the place to work by name instead of M.P. numbers.

CCB
PWVJer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6: 10 am    Post subject: Work Train Info Reply with quote

CCB,
Thought you would enjoy these 1952 Work Train Reports.
We also have another Work-Order batch for all of 1953. Yet more stuff/information on the Bridge Gang.
Piles/pages, of regular slow orders(reports) that we think covers most of the 1950's
are still being looked at....1000's or so pages to go thru in these 1st. few archive box's.

JZ/JR.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The P&WV Hi-Line Forum Index -> Messages All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: