The The P&WV Hi-Line
P&WV Technical and Historical Interest Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

P.R.R. 493060

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Longview Station

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8: 38 am    Post subject: P.R.R. 493060 Reply with quote

While thumbing through another group of AFE/AFR's this AM for J.R. & J.Z., I found AFE 472 for the purchase of P.R.R. 493060 which is listed as a camp train sleeping & wash car equipped with shower bath and chemical toilet that will be reconditioned by the Rook car shop for use by the bridge gang replacing wash & tool car P-171 that is in poor condition. This AFE is dated July 30, 1947.

Another AFE #500 allows for the conversion of URTX 9332 refrigerator car into tool & supply car #P-419 necessary for work train service.

AFE 454 dated April 23, 1947 for the conversion of old caboose cars 612 & 812 into camp cars P-172 and P-173.

Reading these AFE's and AFR's is quite interesting as each contains a wealth of detailed information.

VW
camp car bill

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 2: 32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VW,

A little info on P-171 and PRR 493060.

P-171 was a wash and tool car for the Bridge Gang,it consisted of a coal stove with a very large pot of water on it kept hot by coal fire under it all the time.It also had a long wooden basin on one side of the car.I remember this car well because when I was a kid I stayed at the camp train during my summer school vacation and my father was the Bridge Gang Foreman.

PRR 493060 (I do not remember the PWV#)After it recoditioning and put in Bridge Camp Train sevice.Half the car had the toilet,shower,oil hot water tank,3 modern sink basins and lockers.a coal stove for heat,later converted to oil.The other half the car had a world war 2 surplus generator with a 4 cyl. gasoline engine that could be remotely started from the foremans sleeping quarters in
P-169 sleeping car.It was not until CTC was electric available along the entire line.

CCB
PWVJer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9: 46 am    Post subject: AFE/AFR reports Reply with quote

VW/CCB,
Nice Historical info!
VW, when you get a chance, could you put up some
box/hopper car #'s of the damaged & distroyed P&WV cars on other roads/lines?

We may have several scale model manufactures that would like to use
Hi-Line car information on some future projects.
Longview Station

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 7: 42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jer;

Would you like for me to drop off a stack of the AFE's/AFR's at J.R's. then you guys could scan em and put them up here if you'd like?

VW
PWVJer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9: 07 am    Post subject: AFE/AFR reports Reply with quote

VW,
O.K.... that's a plan!
Drop at JR's we can scan & return them.
Maybe pick out some immediate stuff to post very soon.
Down the road, we could do a Historical up-date,
with a bunch of these reports and link to some archived image pages and other pics.

Thanks Again,
Jer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The P&WV Hi-Line Forum Index -> Messages All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: