The The P&WV Hi-Line
P&WV Technical and Historical Interest Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Our Anniversary

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PWV101
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 1: 41 pm    Post subject: Our Anniversary Reply with quote

Well,

It's been 5 years since I said to JZ, "Press enter and and lets see what happens". The Hi-line was, at that point live, on the World Wide Web for everyone to see!

The idea for the website came from JZ wanting to share the P&WV photos, documents and items he had collected over the years with whomever was interested in the P&WV. So, we began working on putting together the Hi-Line. We worked for several weekends and many evenings. I was new to "Dreamweaver", the software we use to create our web pages. I was sitting in front of the computer with two 2 1/2 inch thick books in my lap for guidance and reference, struggling through all the complexities of building a site that would be informative, function properly, and have a good design. We combined our talents (or lack of) to build the Hi-Line website. As we struggled, with each one telling the other he had no clue what he was doing.... which was for the most part true, we finally came up with what we thought was a website that would tell the story of the P&WV. We also wanted to have a way to communicate with each other and added this bulletin board. We wanted this site to be about images. The saying "A picture is worth a thousand words." is taken to heart by the Hi-Line staff of 2. To that end we have posted thousands of images. Along the way many people have contributed to our site with images and documents. We would like to thank all of them. As we pass our 5th year and close in on our 100,000th visitor we still have much content to add. We both said in the beginning, "We will do this for fun. When it becomes a task, we're out." Well, it is still fun, and we look forward to High Green for another 5 years on The PWV HiLine.

Thanks,

JR & JZ

Webmasters

Last edited by PWV101 on Sun Apr 04, 2010 6: 27 am; edited 1 time in total
Longview Station

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 4: 02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy 5th..."J.R" and J.Z."...
Its neat still learning new things about the P&WV.
Like the recent water tank photo as well as the recent water barrel conversation.
I just emailed "J.R" a photo taken today of Peters Creek Bridge, Mile Post 39.38 showing the three water barrell supports still part of the bridge deck. I also noted today in my travels, Mingo Creek as well as banning still have them. Sudan recently lost her walkway but as far back as I can recall, had walkways on both sides of the track, quite unusual for P&WV bridges. The bridge at Maple, Mile Post 27.05 recently had some new deck work installed so I could not determine barrell supports out on her.
But through this site, neat topics such as these come forward furthering the interest and excitement I have had with this railroad since the early 1970's...
VW
camp car bill

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 6: 59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LV

The second walkway was put on Sudan Bridge ,partly because a Trainman got off the wrong side of his Caboose and fell off Sudan Bridge.(this story appeared earlier on the Hi-Line) The Donora Branch was active at that time and a second walkway was required by law when a bridge was that close to the interchange and a new deck was put on.The PWV being the kind of company it was went ahead and put the second walkway on.
I was with the Bridge Gang in 1959 when we put this walkway on.The Camp Train was cut out on the Donora Branch.

CCB
Longview Station

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 10: 19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CCB;

Sudan recently lost its walkways. It was long overdue as both sides were hanging and dangling for quite a while and were more of a hazard than a safety appliance. The East End of Sudan had new deck ties installed on the curve about 10 years ago including not replacing the walkways.
summit_cut

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 10: 23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The walkways on the bridge in Banning are still there but in terrible shape. The ones on the east bank are dangling and falling on to the CSX mainline. The bridge just east of Norris Tunnel also has places for the rain barrels but are also in bad shape
BillK

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11: 41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Birthday Hi-Line, have enjoyed this site since I found it, plus the PWV is part of my Family's History. Thanks again JR & JZ.

Bill
camp car bill

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 6: 08 pm    Post subject: Sudan Bridge Walkways Reply with quote

LV

There was no need for the WLE to replace the walkways on Sudan Bridge when they renewed part of the deck 10 years ago because the Donora Branch was abandoned in the early 1980's and there no need to confirm with the walkway rule.

CCB
bowestym

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7: 43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JZ and JR,

Congratulations on your fifth anniversary and thanks for posting all of the great material on the web site. I'm looking forward to another five years.

Larry Kline
Pittsburgh, PA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The P&WV Hi-Line Forum Index -> Messages All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: