The The P&WV Hi-Line
P&WV Technical and Historical Interest Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Donora Branch in use again!!!! (Sort of)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ple1556

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 7: 26 pm    Post subject: Donora Branch in use again!!!! (Sort of) Reply with quote

Well it's not exactly what I bet all of you are thinking, right now. But I set out to the ol' Donora Branch site on another mission yesterday and happend to notice that the last remaining trestle of the line has been put back into use for vehicle traffic--Presumably for trucks? I didn't venture up to the trestle for fear of trespassing now that the property is in use for something. I'll try to get another look this week to see if I can see anything or talk to anyone to get some scoop. In the mean time, here are some pictures I took of the trestle, and a pic of the remnants of a railroad crossing further up along the line:

Notice the guardrails installed: I'll try & get a few more pics ASAP. The original ramp to the trestle comes up from the opposite side, along those black & white towers that are off in the distance. The new ramp is off to the left, just out of the pictures, and banks sharply up to the right.

Remnants of the Donora Branch: This photograph was just taken on Shannon Road looking east towards Donora. Boy, I'll bet THIS road hasn't been paved for a while.

Same location as the above photo but looking north towards Sudan. Somebody's using the property for something...

Longview Station

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8: 05 am    Post subject: Donora Branch Reply with quote

PLE 1556;
Interesting set of photos of the Donora Branch.
I still kick myself, about 1983 I set off on walking the entire branch, but for some reason I only did the top half, down through both tunnels. In my new book that is expected before Christmas, you'll see Shannon Road Crossing when the rails were still in and in the background you can see Pigeon Creek as well as the wood whistle post for the crossing. I also have listed the N&W last trains using the branch compiled for abandoment.
VW
summit_cut

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 4: 49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The road across the Donora Branch trestle is for haul trucks to haul river dredge up to a dump on the hill. Im not sure when they are going to start using it. I was to my belief that when they take a couple of the river locks out, the river will need major dredging and thats one of the places it will go. Hope this helps
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The P&WV Hi-Line Forum Index -> Messages All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: