The The P&WV Hi-Line
P&WV Technical and Historical Interest Group

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bower HIill Bridge

View previous topic :: View next topic  
camp car bill

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 2: 18 pm    Post subject: Bower HIill Bridge Reply with quote

Bower Hill Bridge

Going through some of JZ posts I came across one dated Fri. Nov. 2005 which had a picture of a WE grain train coming east acroos Bower Hill Bridge. This confirms my position on long ties on Bridge 60.26. This bridge was orginaly constructed for double track using three trusses in this spot. In my time it has always been used as a single track bridge.Which required longer than normal single track ties.
A picture is worth a 1000 words.

In 1961 the Bridge Gang with two cranes was to remove the idle truss,in the process a sling on the hook up broke and the truss fell on the Chartiers Branch of the PRR and Old Bower Hill Road below.At that time the road was on the south side of bridge.

Now what I will always remember about this bridge.During 1953 while renewing the steel on the three tower spans on the east end of bridge,we were working under the bridge when we heard a west bound out of Rook whistle and throw on the air. We wasted no time getting out of there.We went to top of bridge and saw a pre school age boy seting on the edge of a tie in the middle of bridge with the train seting there also.He camly got up an walked along the edge of ties and train to the dump.God must of been with that boy that day.At the time there was no walkway on the bridge.

CCB

Also while working on this bridge in 1953,I saw my last PWV steam engine in freight service,an east bound going to Rook.
PWVBen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11: 54 pm    Post subject: Old Bower Hill highway bridge Reply with quote

Does anyone know what the old Bower Hill highway bridge looked like ?
It used to be just south of the P&WV Bower Hill RR bridge.
Longview Station

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6: 50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your talking about the thru truss located there on Vanadium road before re-alignment, I have a photo of it from the Allegheny County Archives. I can email it to you.
VW
ktrick45

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 7: 18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a facebook account, check out the photos on the "We're from Scott...We're kind of a big deal" group. There's a newspaper clip from the time it was about to be torn down, and in one of my photos, you can kinda make out the profile. I was actually taking a picture of the ice on the creek. I also have a few of the P&WV viaduct on that group.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The P&WV Hi-Line Forum Index -> Messages All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: